Common Ground Food Co-op Sustainable Food Scholarship
Common Ground sponsors the Sustainable Food Scholarship to nurture the latent educational resources within the community and to encourage fresh approaches to building a more just and sustainable food system.
The Sustainable Scholarship is $1,000. These funds will be paid directly to the nationally accredited institution of the Scholar’s choice, to be applied to the Scholar’s tuition. At the end of the next academic year, the Scholar will submit a short reflection upon what s/he has learned and how s/he will apply that knowledge to his or her commitment to food sustainability.
Our ideal applicant must display his or her personal commitment to create and implement new solutions to the problems surrounding food sustainability. A student who reveals an interest in novel approaches to the issue and/or an interest in utilizing a non-traditional field of study to bring their commitment to fruition has a greater chance of being selected. To be eligible for this award, applicant must also meet the following criteria:
- The applicant must be an undergraduate or high school senior at any high school within a 100-mile radius of Common Ground Food Co-op during the current school year.
- The applicant must be a full time college student in the upcoming academic year at any nationally accredited two or four year college or university.
- The applicant must have a personal commitment to positively affect sustainable food systems through his or her academic discipline.
- March 31st: Application deadline. Application filled out as directed and returned to Common Ground Food Co-op’s Education Coordinator -see contact information on back- in the store or by email before midnight.
- May 1st: The Sustainable Food Scholar is announced.
- Mid May: The Scholar sends Common Ground the acceptance/enrollment letter of the nationally accredited institution they will be entering/enrolled in, informs the institution of the scholarship, and fills out what paperwork the institution may require for external scholarships. Common Ground will send the scholarship funds directly to the institution to be applied to the Scholar’s tuition.
For more information, please visit our website.