Julian & Jan Hester Memorial Scholarship
The goal of The Julian & Jan Hester Memorial Scholarship Fund is to assist deserving high school seniors in their first year of college and to promote community banking. All Georgia high school seniors are eligible to compete for this scholarship if they are planning to enter a Georgia university, college, or technical institute (if program is two years or more) in the fall semester following their high school graduation (applicant must be a full-time student). Recipients will be named solely on the basis of merit; family financial need is not a consideration.
To be considered for this award, the following items must be received by your Community Bank President on or before April 6th:
- The Julian & Jan Hester Memorial Scholarship Fund application from the applicant, including an essay on community banking. Please note: Additional attachments will not be included in the evaluation
- The candidate’s Qualification Sheet from one mathematics, science or humanities teacher
- The applicant’s high school transcript (and SAT scores if available) from the high school counselor
After the application deadline, complete applications will be reviewed and evaluated based on the following criteria:
- High school record/transcript
- SAT scores
- Qualification statement from high a school teacher
- Candidate’s essay
- List of leadership positions, activities, honors and awards
Each local community bank will choose one semi-finalist from applications received from the community and one semi-finalist from applications received from bank employees and their families. These applications will be forwarded to Community Bankers Association of Georgia where finalists will be chosen. The four (4) award recipients will be notified by the Community Bankers Association of Georgia or the sponsoring bank. An announcement of the scholarship winners has been tentatively scheduled for May.