Maine Legislative Memorial Scholarship
The Maine Legislative Memorial Scholarship Fund was created by the Maine Legislature and staff to annually recognize one student from each county who is currently pursuing, or is planning to pursue, their education at a two-year, or four-year, degree-granting Maine college or technical school. This scholarship is available for full or part-time students.
Members of the Maine Legislature and staff have conducted fund-raising activities to grow the money for this scholarship. Sixteen $1,000 scholarships are awarded; one recipient will be selected from each county in Maine.
Eligible recipient must be a Maine resident, who is accepted to or enrolled in a two- or four-year degree-granting Maine college or technical school that is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (the student must actually choose to attend the Maine institution). Graduate students are also eligible.
Awards are made on the basis of:
- Academic excellence demonstrated by the content of the applicant’s transcript and GPA
- Contributions to community and employment
- Financial need demonstrated by the applicant’s Student Aid Report (SAR)
- Letter(s) of recommendation from both a high school or college official familiar with the applicant’s academic performance and extracurricular activities and a person with first-hand knowledge regarding the applicant’s involvement in community service
- Essay of 300 words or less from the applicant explaining his or her educational goals and intentions