AWMF & Loreen Arbus Foundation Focus on Disability Journalist Scholarship
Since 2009, the Alliance for Women in Media has partnered with The Loreen Arbus Foundation to focus on the needs, achievements, contributions and stories of citizens with disabilities.
The Alliance for Women in Media Foundation (AWMF) is pleased to announce the competition’s theme for this year of "A Different Lens". Students are invited to submit a creative writing piece of 750 to 1,000 words, focusing on the challenges and triumphs that come with living with a disability. Applicants will also need to submit a letter of recommendation from a faculty member as part of the submission process.
This journalist scholarship program consists of one $2,500 scholarship, made payable directly to the winning student’s educational institute. The winning student must also be able to attend AWMF’s Gracie Awards Luncheon on June 26, 2013 in New York City to receive the scholarship. Female undergraduate and graduate students studying media, journalism, English, Communications and related fields are encouraged to apply.
Submission Requirements: Please submit a writing piece of 750 to 1,000 words, focusing on the theme "A Different Lens" and centering on the challenges and triumphs that come with living with a disability. The piece can be written in first or third person. If you have a personal connection to the subject matter, please indicate either within the essay or via cover sheet.
Some questions to keep in mind when composing your piece:
- In what ways have people with disabilities persevered to become successful in your community (school or otherwise)?
- What obstacles (physical, mental, etc.) do people with disabilities face? Is this on a daily basis or in a particular activity?
- What universal lessons can be learned from the perseverance and determination of individuals with disabilities?
We encourage you to work with your local community and non-profits to gain a more nuanced picture of the types of accomplishments made by individuals with disabilities.
You must be a full-time, female undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited college or university. Please include with your submission (via cover page or otherwise) the following information in its entirety:
- College or University and Expected Year of Graduation
- A copy of a valid student ID and/or other proof of enrollment
- Contact Information (mailing address, phone, email)
- One create writing piece, as described above
- A letter of recommendation from a professor or journalism/media/communications professional
Prize: AWMF and The Loreen Arbus Foundation will select one student winner to receive $2,500, payable to the winning student’s educational institution. The scholarship recipient is required to attend AWMF’s Gracie Awards Luncheon on June 26th in New York City in order to receive her scholarship. By submitting this application, you consent to pay any necessary travel/airfare to attend the Luncheon. AWMF will award the full amount of the scholarship upon selection of the winner.
Recognition and Requirements:
- One complimentary ticket to the AWM Foundation’s annual Gracie Awards Luncheon on June 26th in New York City. (Hotel and travel not included.)
- The winning essay will be featured on AWM’s Blog, Reflections, and promoted via AWM’s newsletter, FastForward, as well as AWM’s various social media outlets.
Deadline: Materials must be submitted by April 8th.
Please visit our website for more information.