Kumin Scholars Program
This program was established in 2004 through the Trust of Margrit Kumin. It was her desire to dedicate part of her estate to help young people pursue higher education. The purpose of this scholarship, established in her memory, is to support current community college students who wish to transfer to a four-year institution. This scholarship recognizes and honors the family and work responsibilities of many community college students. The selection committee looks for students who demonstrate academic promise, hard work and the personal characteristics of honesty and good judgment. Special consideration will be given to students who work while attending school. Students on public assistance are encouraged to apply.
Each applicant must meet all of the following eligibility requirements:
- Graduate from a high school in San Mateo County or Santa Clara County or be a resident of San Mateo
County or Santa Clara County who completed a GED Program and received a California High School Equivalency Certificate
- Current enrollment (part-time or full-time) in a community college
- Completion of at least 20 graded semester or quarter units before the application deadline
- Minimum GPA of 2.5
- Plan to transfer to a four-year college or university within the next two years
- Demonstrated financial need
- United States citizen OR legal resident
Students are eligible for up to three years of funding at the community college level and up to three years of funding at the four-year institution level. However, students must meet renewal requirements to continue to receive the award.
Finalists will be asked to interview with the scholarship selection committee.