Matt Fong Asian Americans in Public Finance Scholarship
Asian Americans in Public Finance strives to enhance, develop and promote the professional lives and careers of dedicated Asian Americans in public finance as well as those interested in pursuing a career in public finance or the public sector.
Public finance is the study of government’s impact on the economy, and a profession in public finance involves the funding and financial management of public goods, services, and facilities provided directly by state and local governments, through its agencies or community not-for-profit organizations. A profession in this field requires a commitment to public service.
The Matt Fong Asian Americans in Public Finance scholarship honors the memory of former California state treasurer, Matt Fong, for his dedication to public service, active involvement in state politics, and direct impact he had in opening up opportunities for Asian Americans in the public finance industry. Matt Fong’s life embodied the mission of the Asian Americans in Public Finance organization.
- Grade level: Incoming sophomore, junior or senior at a four-year college or university in the upcoming academic year
- Must be enrolled in California college or university
- Major: Accounting, political science, public policy, business administration or related fields
- Ethnic heritage: Asian (at least 50%)
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- Financial need
- Preference given to those with record of community service or volunteer work