Tourism Cares will award the Simmons Scholarship, (as part of the American Society of Travel Agents Scholarship Fund), in the amount of $1,000, to a travel and tourism or hospitality student, who is a permanent resident of the United States, and is an entering or returning graduate student at an accredited four-year college or university in the United States. This scholarship was established in memory of A. L. Simmons, past President of ASTA.
The applicant must:
• Be a permanent resident of the United States.
• Be enrolled at an accredited four-year college or university in the United States.
• Have a cumulative 3.0 grade point average (GPA), or greater, on a 4.0 scale.
• Be an entering or returning graduate student, in the fall of the calendar year of application.
• Be a graduate student who can demonstrate a clear focus on and commitment to the tourism-subject area.
• Scanned completed and signed Tourism Cares Scholarship application
(download form from Tourism Cares online scholarship platform).
• Scanned legible copy of U.S. driver’s license as proof of permanent residency.
• A word-processed résumé.
• Scanned letter of recommendation from a tourism-related faculty member on official school letterhead and hand signed.
• Scanned letter of recommendation from a professional in the tourism industry on official company letterhead and hand signed.
• A scanned two-page original essay that is signed, word-processed in 12 point font size and double-spaced, with sources referenced, which answers the following question:
What contributions do you feel you might make in pursuing a career in the travel, tourism, and hospitality industry? How can your related work and internship experiences in the industry so far be useful? The student must sign the essay to verify the work is his/her original.
* An official copy of the student’s current school transcript, detailing courses completed, academic standing, and GPA, must be sent directly from the school to Tourism Cares to arrive by the deadline.
275 Turnpike Street, Suite 307
Canton, MA 02021
What is Tourism Cares?
Tourism Cares is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit public charity that benefits society by preserving the travel experience for future generations by giving grants to cultural, historic, and natural sites worldwide; by awarding academic and professional development scholarships for students of travel, tourism, and hospitality; and by organizing volunteer restoration events at tourism-related sites in need of care and rejuvenation.