Texas Outdoor Writers Association Dan Klepper Memorial Scholarship
Dan Klepper was a legendary outdoor writer for the San Antonio Express News. An outstanding investigative reporter and outdoor enthusiast, he was one of the founders of the Texas Outdoor Writers Association. In order to be eligible to apply for the $1,500 scholarship, applicants must be pursuing a career in the field of communication careers related to the outdoors, environmental conservation, or wildlife management. Communication careers may be in the areas of print media, radio, television or electronic media.
Currently enrolled college students of any classification or professionals seeking further training in the field of communication careers relating to the outdoors, environmental conservation, or wildlife management are eligible to apply for this scholarship. Students are eligible for membership in TOWA. Scholarship winners will have their membership dues waived.
The winner or winners will be required to submit a photo suitable for publication and provide the name and address of their hometown newspaper and other media to be notified.
Scholarship applications must include the following:
- A statement of your career goals and your plans to accomplish them
- A written summary of your outdoor activities, both professional and volunteer. You may include published articles, newspaper stories, photos, etc.
- A copy of your degree plan and an official transcript
- A letter of recommendation from your department chair or your faculty adviser
- Any other letters of recommendation. Letters from members of Texas Outdoor Writers Association may be included but are not necessary.