Robert W. Hiller Scholarship
The Wisconsin Bakers Association (WBA) established the national scholarship fund to support and encourage people who have demonstrated a passion for a profession in the baking/pastry arts field. A $1,000 scholarship will be awarded each academic year to the applicant who can best demonstrate this career commitment.
The Robert W. Hiller Scholarship Fund was established on November 5, 2000, by the members of the WBA in honor of Robert (Bob) and the late Sandy Hiller's life long commitment to the retail baking industry. The program intends to provide a financial resource for the education of students who will be the future of the Baking Industry.
Applicants for the Robert W. Hiller Scholarship must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must have a minimum high school (or equivalent) degree.
- Applicants must have a GPA of at least 2.85 on a 4.0 scale (may be waived for first time returning adult students).
- Applicants must be pursuing a degree in a baking/pastry arts related field that prepares candidates for a retail baking profession.
- Applicants must submit three letters of recommendation, including at least one from an employer and/or academic advisor.
- The applicant must submit a resume.
- The applicant must submit a written essay (500 words or less) detailing why he/she is passionate about a profession in the baking/pastry arts field and what they have done to demonstrate and develop that passion. The essay should include their goals for the future.
- Candidates will be subject to a phone interview to determine the recipient of the scholarship.
- Students entering the last semester of their Baking/Pastry Arts program are not eligible for the scholarship.