MANAA Fifth Media Scholarship
The Media Action Network for Asian Americans, is pleased to announce one $1000 scholarship for currently-enrolled college students interested in pursuing careers as filmmakers and in television production (not broadcast journalism). Formed in 1992, MANAA is the only organization solely dedicated to monitoring the media and advocating balanced, sensitive, and positive depiction and coverage of the Asian American community.
MANAA recognizes the urgent need to fill the ranks of television and film with persons of Asian descent in decision-making positions as screenwriters, directors, producers, and studio executives. We are looking to award students who have a strong desire to advance a positive and enlightened understanding of the Asian American experience in the mainstream media.
Scholarship recipients will be selected on the basis of their academic and personal merit, desire to uplift the image of Asian Americans in film and television as demonstrated in their essay, potential as demonstrated in their work sample, and financial need. Recipients will be invited to attend MANAA’s Media Achievement Awards Banquet in Los Angeles on November 9th, when they will be recognized.
In order to accommodate students in different college systems, there will be two deadlines:
· All entries from students attending a school that operates on a semester system must be postmarked no later than September 18.
· All entries from students attending a school that operates on a quarter system must be postmarked no later than October 9.
STUDENTS MUST SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING MATERIALS. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Students must submit the following materials- incomplete applications will not be accepted.
1. A copy of all official transcripts.
2. A copy of completed financial aid documents.
3. Two letters of recommendation. One that evaluates academic and artistic aptitude and another that speaks to the student’s interest and involvement in the community.
4. A double-spaced essay consisting of no more than 1,000 words answering the following questions: Where do you see yourself ten years from now? What accomplishments and strides will you hope to have made in your career in the film and television industry? How will you have worked to advance more positive images of Asian Americans in the mainstream media?
5. Optional. A work sample consisting of a short film or screenplay. Materials will not be returned.
Send all completed applications to MANAA Scholarship, P.O. Box 11105, Burbank, CA 91510. Please do not send applications via certified or registered mail.
For more information about MANAA and our monthly meetings, please visit our website at http://www.manaa.org.
Any questions regarding the scholarship should be directed to email@example.com or (213) 486-4433.