American Legion Auxiliary, Dept of MN Memorial Scholarships
The purpose of this scholarship, sponsored by the American Legion, Department of Minnesota, is to provide financial assistance to students to further their education in any Minnesota university, college, vocational school or other accredited institution of higher education, or in states with Minnesota reciprocity.
All applicants must stem from a Minnesota American Legion Post. After Post completion and approval, applications should be sent to The American Legion Memorial Scholarship Committee. Further correspondence with applicants will be by that committee. The American Legion Memorial Scholarship Committee shall be composed of the Education and Scholarship Chairman as Chairperson, and the Executive Committee of the Department Americanism Committee. This committee will be responsible for the final selection of the successful applicants for scholarship awards. Scholarship winners will be selected sometime in the month of April. You will not be notified if you do not receive this scholarship. All applications will be destroyed after selection. There shall be no discrimination among applicants because of race, age, sex, or religion of the nominee.
Six or more awards will be made for the coming scholastic year in memory of past Department Commander, Lyle C. Mikelson, and others so memorialized. The maximum scholarship award will be $500 for one year only.
To be eligible for this award, the applicant must:
- Be a child, grandchild, adopted child, or stepchild of an American Legion or American Legion Auxiliary member
- Be a high school graduate
- Be a student that shows qualities or initiative and desire
- Be a student that is loyal to his/her country
- Establish financial need
- High school or college transcript must be included
- Applicant should include a personal letter
- Applicant should include at least two (2) letters of recommendation
- An American Legion Post Commander must sign application
Application deadline is April 1st. All applications must be approved and recommended by a post of the American Legion. Please send completed scholarships to:
The American Legion
20 West 12th Street, Room 300A
St. Paul, MN 55155
If you have any questions, please call 651-291-1800 or email email@example.com