Charles H. and Orene C. Hinds - Odell, Nebraska
The Charles and Orene Hinds – Odell, Nebraska, High School Scholarship Program was established in 1990. Charles once reflected, “Orene and I did not have children of our own, so I thought it would be nice to provide scholarships for young people from my hometown.” A graduate of Odell High School, Charles earned a degree from UNL and began his career with Lincoln Trust Company. He retired in 1968 as vice president and trust officer of the National Bank of Commerce. Orene was a seamstress and was later employed by a local department store, hospital and hatchery. Orene passed away in 1995, and Charles followed in 2000.
To be eligible for this award, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be current graduating seniors who reside in townships that were included in the former Odell High School district in Nebraska
- Applicants must demonstrate scholastic application and achievement with the intention of pursuing postsecondary education; for this scholarship, scholarship application is defined as achieving a GPA of 2.75 or better on a 4.0 scale
- There are no criteria related to college or university selected by the recipient(s), major, field of study or gender
- Financial need will only be utilized as a tie-breaker in the selection process
- The essential criterion is performance, and preference shall be given to those applicants who do not have a history of drug, alcohol or tobacco use