Participating in extracurricular activities has many benefits for high school students. Joining high school clubs is a great way to meet people who share your interests and enhance your skills. Active participation in organizations such as your high school drama club, high school science club and high school computer club can also be very beneficial when you are searching for scholarship opportunities to help pay for college.
Benefits of Extracurricular Activities
- Club advisors can be excellent resources for letters of recommendation.
- Many academic and non-academic scholarship programs consider involvement in extracurricular activities in the selection process.
- Many school-based scholarship programs consider extracurricular activities, because schools want to recruit students likely to become active members of the student body.
- Many scholarship programs reward leadership experience, and holding offices in high school clubs is an excellent way to demonstrate leadership.
- Some subject-specific scholarships require, or look very favorably upon, related extracurricular activities. (For example, many drama scholarships are limited to individuals who were involved in their high school drama club.)
- Many scholarship programs require students to write essays demonstrating their interest in a particular field. What better way to demonstrate that you are dedicated to pursuing a career in computer science than to discuss your membership in your high school computer club?
The advisor for each of the high school clubs in which you hold a membership may be able to help you identify scholarship opportunities based on your extracurricular activities. A scholarship search service that matches students with scholarship programs based on their activities can be an excellent resource for locating hard-to-find scholarships based on extracurricular activity participation.
And remember, there’s no need to rely on expensive student loan options to pay for your college education. For more information on finding free scholarship money for college, conduct a Scholarships.com free college scholarship search today, then apply and win! It’s that easy!