Since 1947, the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) has dedicated itself to fostering patriotism and nurturing the potential of the future generation. The Voice of Democracy audio-essay program, initiated by the VFW, provides a remarkable platform for high school students (grades 9-12) to express their thoughts on democratic and patriotic themes through recorded essays. The national first place winner receives a $35,000 scholarship paid directly to the recipient’s American university, college or vocational/technical school. A complete list of other national scholarships range from $1,000-$21,000, and the first place winner from each VFW Department (state) wins at least a scholarship of $1,000.
- Provides a unique platform for self-expression on democratic and patriotic themes.
- Awards over $2 million in educational scholarships and incentives annually.
- National first-place winner receives a $35,000 scholarship sent directly to their American university, college, or vocational/technical school.
- Additional national scholarships range from $1,000 to $21,000.
- Open to high school students in grades 9-12.
- Must be a US citizen.
- Must be planning to attend college following their high school graduation.
- Read the rules and eligibility requirements.
- Download and complete the Voice of Democracy entry form.
- Submit entries to a sponsoring local VFW Post by the scholarship deadline.
- Express Yourself: Use your voice to share thoughts on democratic and patriotic values.
- Scholarship Opportunities: Compete for educational scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $35,000.
- Recognition: Gain recognition and support from the VFW for your unique perspective.
Join the Voice of Democracy Program
If you are a high school student passionate about democracy and patriotism, seize the opportunity to contribute to the discourse and secure financial support for your education. Review the guidelines, meet the eligibility criteria, and submit your recorded essay to a local VFW Post to be part of this impactful scholarship program.