The Crain Scholarship recognizes and supports outstanding students who demonstrate academic excellence, participate actively in extracurricular activities, and are committed to serving their community. This scholarship program, established in 1987 in memory of Dr. R. Carter Crain and Mildred E. Crain, offers recipients an opportunity to receive financial assistance of up to $5,000 to pursue their higher education goals.
- Scholarship Amount: Up to $5,000
- Established in memory of Dr. R. Carter Crain and Mildred E. Crain
- Aims to support high school graduates with limited financial means
- Selection based on academic promise, community involvement, personal statement quality, and personal characteristics
- Demonstrated community involvement over several years
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Demonstrated financial hardship
- Must be a graduating high school senior or a graduate of a high school in San Mateo County or Santa Clara County
- Planning to enroll or currently enrolled as a full-time student in a four-year college or university
- Applicants should apply for the joint “Crain and Hazel Reed Baumeister Scholarships” program through the designated online portal.
- Submit required documents and information as specified in the application guidelines.
The selection committee looks for academic promise, documented perseverance in activities outside the classroom, the quality of the personal statement and personal characteristics such as honesty, good judgment and commitment to serving the community.