AFSA High School Essay Contest
The American Foreign Service Association National High School Essay Contest is open to all high school students whose parents are not in the United States Foreign Service. The winner will receive $2,500 and a trip to Washington, D.C. with your parents. The winner’s school will also receive $500.
For this years essay topic, please visit our website in November.
- Submit four copies of an original work in English on the designated topic.
- Submit four copies of a comprehensive list of sources consulted, as well as one completed registration form signed by you and your teacher.
- All submissions must include a word count, excluding the list of sources and the registration form.
- Entries must be typed, double-spaced, in 12-point Times New Roman or an equivalent font with a one-inch margin on all sides of the page. Standards of content and style from MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, 6th ed., will be expected for (1) documentation of sources in the text of your essay (see chapter 5); (2) the format of the list of works cited (see sample page at end of the MLA Handbook); and (3) margins and indentation (see sample page also at end of Handbook).
- Submit four collated copies of your essay, with title page, numbered and including sources.
- Attach and staple one registration form to your completed essay.
- You must include your name, home address, phone number, an e-mail address and the name and address of your school and/or sponsor. You and your teacher must sign this registration form.
- E-mailed or faxed applications are not acceptable!
- Do not place your name or your school's name on any of the pages of the essay
- Your essay will be disqualified if it does not meet the requirements or is postmarked after the submission date.
Mail your four copies plus registration form to:
Ms. Perri Green
National High School Essay Contest
American Foreign Service Association
2101 E Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20037
Your essay will become the property of the American Foreign Service Association once it is submitted and will not be returned.