The Ben Carlson Memorial and Scholarship Foundation seeks to create a sustainable legacy of Ben Carlson through scholarship, ocean safety, and philanthropy.
Applicants must meet specific criteria and have all of their application materials submitted by March 1st. Funds will be distributed directly to the institution in order to offset tuition, books, or housing expenses.
In order to apply, candidates need to be attending a four-year post-secondary school within ten months of award application date. Candidates must be a current high school senior or undergraduate student. Graduate students will not be considered. Candidates must demonstrates a strong work ethic, academic promise, athleticism, and service to community. High School students must have a minimum weighted 3.5 GPA.
Undergraduate students must have a minimum 3.0 GPA and be taking a full time academic course load. Applicants with present or past participation in a junior lifeguard program or present or past employment as an ocean lifeguard will be given additional preference.
Applicants will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Application (Application will open January 1)
- Resume-Submitted through application.
- Essay- Submitted through application. Applicants must complete an essay that demonstrates how you exhibit the characteristics of Ben Carlson and your educational goals. (Between 400 and 700 words)
- Transcript- Upon request. (High school students should include first semester, college students should include high school transcript and any college transcripts)
- Oral Interview with the BCMSF Board (Top 5 candidates)
Please do not hesitate to contact the Advisory Board if you have any questions. Please do not send transcripts, essays, or other materials unless requested.
For more information or to apply, please visit the scholarship provider's website.