East Villagers Service Scholar Essay and Art Contest
The East Villagers Non-Profit Community is offering an opportunity for young service-minded scholars to express their passion for community service through essay writing and art. Winners from Northern California will be invited to read their essays at the annual Service Scholar Award Celebration hosted by the Ping & Amy Chao Family Foundation. Students must complete five hours of community service and fill out the Service Requirement Form to provide proof. All students enrolled in kindergarten through high school in the United States and Canada are eligible to apply.
There are two categories for the contest:
1. Essay - Choose one of the following prompts to write an essay:
- Prompt 1: Please share a volunteer experience and its impact on your life
- Prompt 2: Why is community service important in your life?
- Prompt 3: Share about an experience when someone helped you and how it impacted your life
Please keep to the following word limit when writing your essays:
- High School: 1,000 – 1,500 words
- Middle School: 500 – 750 words
- Kindergarten through Grade 5: 300-500 words
2. Artwork (Fine Art, Digital Art, Photography or Video) - This should be an inspirational artwork on why more students should do community service, or one that captures the moment of someone engaging in service without asking for anything in return. Please follow the guidelines below for making your artwork:
- Video: 3-5 min in length; more info on contest entry form (see below)
- Photography: can be a set of 3 photos
- Fine Art, Digital Art: max size of 11" x 16"
All files should be sent in electronically DOC, PDF, JPG, or PNG format, and be named as such: LastName_FirstName.pdf, Video entries should be uploaded onto You Tube. Finalists will be asked to display their art work at benefit gallery events. Applicants are allowed to make two submissions: two essays answering different prompts, one essay and one artwork, or two artworks.
All applicants must also complete five hours of community service and show proof of service to quality for the contest. Download, fill out, and scan the Community Service Requirement Form from our website.
Deadline for all entries is May 2nd at 5:00 p.m. PST. For more information, please visit our website.