Eye Bank Young Ambassador Scholarship
The Eye-Bank is pleased to announce the establishment of its Young Ambassador Scholarship in Memory of Christopher Nordquist, who was two when he died and left the gift of sight.
Through the years, his mother, Andrea Nordquist, has shared the story of their family’s loss and subsequent decision to donate Christopher’s corneas in hopes of increasing awareness of the good that eye donation can do. In this way, Christopher became one of The Eye-Bank’s first Young Ambassadors.
The $1,000 award in his memory is intended to encourage young people to pursue learning and to help spread the message about the priceless gift almost anyone can leave after death – the gift of sight through eye donation.
To be eligible students must meet all of the following criteria:
- Reside within New York City, Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Rockland, Duchess & Putnam counties
in New York State
- Be a senior in high school or presently enrolled in a two- or four-year college, university or trade/technical school
- Be under 25 years of age at the time of application deadline
- Complete the Scholarship Application and return it by June 1st
- Use the scholarship award for continuing education at an accredited college or university or trade/technical school certificate program during the coming school year
- Write a short essay (1-2 type-written pages, double-spaced) describing an educational initiative or public service that the student took part in to promote eye donation
- Provide two references from current school and a counselor's report
- Provide a current official transcript and/or acceptance letter from the college, university or trade/technical school the applicant plans to attend
To download a copy of the application, visit The Eye-Bank's website. Please submit completed application and related materials post-marked by June 1st to:
Mrs. Andrea Nordquist
The Eye-Bank for Sight Restoration
120 Wall Street
New York, NY 10005
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.