James A. Hyter gave his music, his heart and his life to serving the Memphis community. Through the scholarship fund, Mr. Hyter's legacy will live as long as the Mississippi flows in the voices of future Hyter scholars.
Applicants for the James A. Hyter Vocal Scholarship Fund must:
- have a current grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- live in the Memphis metropolitan area
- be enrolled, or intend to enroll, in a two or four-year program at an accredited institution
- possess vocal talent accompanied by a love of music
- submit the application form and the required attachments
Qualified applicants will be invited to a vocal audition. Applicants chosen for the audition should be prepared to perform a musical selection from each of the following categories: classical (traditional concert repertoire), folk songs (folk music of various cultures) and show tunes (selections from Broadway musicals). For more information, please visit our website.