Jennings B. & Beulah G. Haggerty Scholarship
The Jennings B. and Beulah G. Haggerty Scholarship was established in 1996. Despite never finishing school and experiencing a very tough life in his early years, the late William Jennings Bryan Haggerty was a successful businessman in the Lincoln community. A native of Lincoln, Jennings entered the army at age 17 and served in WWI. He ventured out west before returning to Lincoln and starting the Jennings Haggerty Nurseries, which he owned and operated for 18 years. He and his wife, Beulah, loved to travel the world and visited everywhere except Australia. Beulah passed away in 1989 at the age of 93, and Jennings followed her in 1995 at the age of 94.
To be eligible for this award, applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must be a current graduating senior of a public or private high school in Lincoln, Nebraska
- Applicant must be ranked in the top 1/3rd of his or her graduating class
- It is preferred that applicant plan to attend an accredited two-year or four-year university or college in Nebraska
- Applicant must demonstrate financial need as determined by the institute's cost of education minus expected family contributions and other financial aid the applicant may be receiving
- Applicant must apply for student financial aid at the institution he/she will be attending before approaching the Lincoln Community Foundation for assistance