Maria Elena Yuchengco Memorial Journalism Scholarship
The public depends on news that is investigated, researched and reported by dedicated professionals. Good journalism requires talent, drive and a genuine interest in understanding the “total picture” and what is most important. Diversity among journalists, especially in a region such as the San Francisco Bay Area, plays a crucial role in ensuring a comprehensive and balanced presentation of the news. Because Filipinos are underrepresented in journalism, Mona Lisa Yuchengco, the founder of Filipinas Magazine, established this scholarship program to support students of Filipino heritage pursuing careers in journalism.
- Number of awards: 1-3
- Amount: $1,000-3,000
- Renewable: Yes
- Established in honor of Maria Elena Yuchengco, who graduated summa cum laude from University of San Francisco and was instrumental in the founding of Filipinas Magazine.
- Grade level: Incoming freshman or current, full-time undergraduate at an accredited four year-college or university in the upcoming academic year
- Major or Career: Journalism
- Ethnic heritage: Filipino heritage (at least 50%)
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- Financial need
- Residency: San Francisco Bay Area
- Status: U.S. citizenship or permanent residency