The prestigious McConnell Scholarships are reserved for 10 Kentucky graduating high school seniors who have demonstrated outstanding leadership potential. Scholarships are renewable for a total of four years.
Scholarship amounts will be determined by the selections committee, but typically will include full tuition and a stipend for books at the University of Louisville. In addition, each scholar will receive all-expenses paid trips to Washington, D.C., and a five-week study abroad to the People's Republic of China.
The McConnell Scholarship is open to graduating high school seniors who are Kentucky residents with a minimum 3.35 GPA. Applicants must have demonstrated a capacity for intellectual and public leadership. The following must be provided:
- Application to the University of Louisville and a supplemental McConnell Scholars application
- An essay, not to exceed two typed pages, indicating your career goals and leadership qualities
- Letter of recommendation - principal or counselor
- Letter of recommendation - teacher
- Letter of recommendation - non-family member or community leader
Note: McConnell Scholars must minor in political science at the University of Louisville and maintain programmatic requirements to keep their scholarships.