Midkiff Challenge Foundation Scholarship
The Midkiff Challenge Foundation was formed by members of the Parkwood Community in and around Monroe, NC, in memory of Joey Midkiff, Parkwood High School Class of 1993, who lost his life on September 7, 1999. Joey’s energy, playful nature and talent on the soccer field enhanced the lives of those around him. The Foundation’s mission is to help enhance the lives of its recipients by investing in their pursuit of higher education and by serving as a consistent positive support of recreational athletics.
The Midkiff Challenge Foundation proudly sponsors the Midkiff Challenge Scholarship. Two annual awards of $500 each are available to students who currently attend Parkwood High School, demonstrate academic excellence and will enter an institution of higher learning in the Fall. One of these awards may be restricted to a former varsity soccer player. The number and amount of awards will fluctuate based on fundraising.
Scholarships will be granted to high school seniors who currently attend Parkwood High School for the purpose of attending an accredited college, university or trade school. The following criteria must be met by the applicant/recipient:
- U.S. citizen or documented resident graduating from high school.
- If awarded a scholarship, the student must enroll at an accredited college, university or trade school as a full-time student. Proof of enrollment at the post secondary institution is required to receive the awarded scholarship funds.
- Cumulative grade point average of at least 2.50, with demonstrated ability and motivation to compete on a collegiate level.
- Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate strong educational motivation and group leadership skills through their activities in school, youth groups, community volunteer efforts and/or work experience.
- Financial need and letters of recommendation are additional criteria in the selection process.
Please visit our web page to download the scholarship application.