Nebraska Press Association Foundation Scholarship
Guidelines of the Nebraska Press Association Scholarship Program sponsored by the Nebraska Press Association Foundation & Member Newspapers of the Nebraska Press Association:
- It is proposed to award $2,000 scholarships to qualified graduates of Nebraska high schools enrolled or planning to enroll in post-secondary educational programs in Nebraska-based colleges
and universities leading to careers in print journalism. Each year, the Foundation Board will decide the number of scholarships based on monies available.
- Eligible to apply are Nebraska high school graduates who are now seeking to enroll in Nebraska colleges and universities. Enrollment must be on a full-time basis. The recipient must use the scholarship and enroll no later than the start of the third semester after the awarding of the scholarship.
- Preference in awarding the scholarships will be given to students with a specific interest in news, editorial, photography, circulation, production, or advertising careers on weekly, semi-weekly, or daily newspapers.
- Selection of the recipients will be based on scholastic ability and good citizenship in school and community. The decision of the NPA Foundation Scholarship Committee is final and not subject to review.
- A letter of reference from the applicant’s community newspaper publisher or editor may accompany the application, but this is not a requirement in order to be considered. A statement from a high school administrator, guidance counselor or college counselor is required and a letter of reference from an unrelated party is also required.
- Scholarship funds will be paid directly to the college or university upon satisfactory completion of the first semester and proof of second semester enrollment. Unused scholarships must come to Foundation Board for decision to renew and to see if rules have been met.
- The application form must be filled out by the applicant and mailed to the NPA Foundation Scholarship Committee, c/o Nebraska Press Association, 845 “S” Street, Lincoln, NE 68508. Applications must be in the hands of the committee no later than February 21st.
For more information about this award, plaase visit our website.