Paul Porter Memorial Scholarship
The Paul Porter Memorial Scholarship was established in 2008 to honor the memory of former Northern California Golf Association and Poppy Holding CEO Paul Porter. Mr. Porter stood for the character traits of self-motivation, strong leadership, a sense of self and kindness. The Paul Porter Memorial Scholarship is designed to support university bound high school seniors who show academic excellence and the character and leadership traits he stood for.
The mission of the NCGA Foundation is to provide deserving youth the opportunity to develop life skills and values through golf. The scholarship will provide a one-time $5,000 stipend in financial assistance to a deserving youth who will attend a four-year college or university. The award is both merit-based and need-based.
Each applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a high school senior enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited Monterey County high school with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Have been accepted for enrollment at a four-year college or university the same year that the scholarship is awarded. If you are awaiting application results, your official acceptance letter must be submitted for consideration.
- An interest in golf is encouraged but not mandatory.
A copy of official high school transcripts must be included with this application along with official copies of SAT or ACT scores.
All applicants must submit one letter of recommendation to be considered for the scholarship. The letter of recommendation must be signed by the author, and scanned as a .pdf file for submission on the electronic application form. The applicant must not be related to the author of the letter of recommendation.
Please refer to the checklist below before submitting your application. Applicant’s family household income may be considered therefore tax information must be provided upon request. The NCGA reserves the right to request an interview. All information contained in this scholarship application will be kept confidential by the NCGA Scholarship Committee. Please visit our site with any questions.
Please reflect upon and prepare the following essay in a word processor and copy and paste your response in the electronic application form when you are ready to submit your materials.
Paul Porter stood for character trails such as motivation, tireless work ethic, intelligence, strong leadership and a sense of self and kindness. In a typed, autobiographical essay of no more than 1,000 words, please discuss significant experiences, community involvement and the qualities of character and leadership that have been important in achieving your goals. Be sure to comment on your educational and professional aspirations.
- Completed application form
- An official copy of high school transcript, SAT or ACT scores and university acceptance letter in .pdf format
- Completed essay question
- One letter of recommendation in .pdf format