Ryan Mullaly Second Chance Fund Scholarship
The Ryan Mullaly Second Chance Fund is a non-profit corporation offering scholarship assistance to young people who are fighting cancer. We are looking for young men and women whose high school years were disrupted by cancer and whose ability to qualify for most scholarships was precluded by the extensive absenteeism and physical disabilities which result from chemotherapy and radiation. The financial impact on families dealing with cancer is significant. In addition to many expenses not covered by health insurance, families often experience a substantial loss in income as one parent must stop working to care for the ill child. There are enormous transportation and meal expenses as the family tries to keep up with doctor and hospital visits and child care for other children at home. Any savings the family might have for college is rapidly used up in an effort to keep up with mounting bills. All of this is in addition to the terrible stress, sadness and worry that each family member is enduring through no fault of their own.
- You are a citizen or permanent resident of the United States;
- You were diagnosed with cancer or a recurrence of cancer between age 13 and graduation from high school;
- You were under active treatment for cancer while in high school, resulting in a substantial impact on your ability to attend class, take the SAT's, etc.;
- You have a treatment history which includes chemotherapy and/or radiation;
- You are currently age 22 or younger;
- You have not previously been awarded a scholarship from our Fund; AND
- You are currently pursuing an Associate's or Bachelor's degree at an accredited 2 year or 4 year college OR you are currently enrolled in an accredited post-secondary vocational or trade program which will culminate in certification.
Graduate School Programs are not eligible.