Sidney-Shelby County YMCA Lee E. Schauer Memorial Scholarship
The Lee E. Schauer Memorial Scholarship was established in 1989 by family and friends to honor the memory of this fine young man who lost his life in a tragic accident the summer before his senior year of high school.
It is the wish of the Schauer family that this scholarship be awarded to a college-bound high school senior for whom the award will truly make a difference. For that reason, the award is intended to reach those students who may not qualify for other scholarships - "average" students who are involved in their community and in school activities, who are leaders and display character traits like caring, honesty, respect and responsibility, but whose GPA may eliminate them from consideration for other scholarships.
To be eligible for this award, applicant must:
- Be a college-bound high school senior
- Have a GPA of 2.5 or higher (please note GPA is a qualifying criterion only and will be given no weight in the selection process)
- Show proof of continuous membership and active participation in the Sidney-Shelby County YMCA for the three years prior to April of the application year
- Participate in sports and/or fitness activities
- Display commitment to community service as a volunteer, particularly at the Y (documentation will be required)
- Demonstrate caring, honesty, respect and responsibility in daily life
- Demonstrate leadership qualities
The $10,000 is payable over four years and students must establish proof of satisfactory progress to renew each year. Applications are mailed to all schools in Shelby County in January of each year, and will also be available at the Sidney-Shelby County YMCA. The recipient of the scholarship is determined by the Scholarship Selection Committee, and is announced in May of each year. The scholarship is administered by the Sidney-Shelby County YMCA Foundation.