The Tang Scholarship
Mr. Edward C. Tang established this award in 2007 to provide financial assistance to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) Asian and Pacific Islanders (API) for post-secondary education. This scholarship is to help LGBT youth proudly achieve educational pursuits and dreams without shame. This scholarship awards up to two outstanding students annually, a combined scholarships totaling up to $15,000. These scholarships are renewable for a maximum of three more years (a total of four years) provided each student annually meets the renewal requirements.
Each applicant must meet all of the following eligibility requirements:
- Self-identified as Asian/Pacific Islander and lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender; (at least 25% API ancestry) and involved in the LGBT community
- Graduate from a high school in one of the nine Bay Area counties - Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Napa, Solano or Sonoma
- Scholarship will be awarded for full-time (minimum 12 units for all semesters/quarters) enrollment in an accredited two, four-year university or graduate school (college, university, community college or vocational school)
- United States citizen or legal resident
- Demonstrated financial hardship
- Demonstrated academic promise
- Minimum unweighted grade point average 3.0 (on a scale of 4.0) for all schools attended or attending
- Be between the ages of 17 and 25
The application deadline is April 30th and the scholarship manager must receive the completed application packet and all supporting materials (such as personal statement, letters of reference, transcripts, proof of U.S. citizenship or legal residency and financial documentation) by 5 p.m. on that day. Late or incomplete applications, date of postmark, faxed and emailed applications will not be considered.