ASTA Holland America Line Graduate Research Scholarship
To be eligible for the ASTA Holland American Line Graduate Research Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Citizen or permanent resident of any country
- Full-time or part-time graduate student, who can demonstrate a clear focus on and commitment to the tourism-subject area
- Conducting research on a topic with a tourism focus
- Enrolled at a college or university in the United States or Canada
- Cumulative 3.0 grade point average (GPA), or greater, on a U.S. 4.0 scale
- Enrolled at an accredited four-year college or university, and entering any year of graduate study in the fall of the calendar year of application
- Passport as proof of citizenship, or Alien Registration Card as proof of permanent residency
- Letter of recommendation from your academic or research advisor
- Graduate Research Faculty Advisor Confirmation Form
- Research proposal (five pages) which includes: the purpose or problem statement, hypothesis (if appropriate), objectives, scope, brief literature review, methodology, and applicability of results. The following are suggested research topics of interest (but are not limited to those on this list): overcoming consumers’ objections to purchasing a cruise; how travel agents could market to adventure and special interest travel buyers; the future composition of the travel agency distribution channel and suggested strategies for retailers and suppliers; and consolidation as a survival strategy and possible productive partnerships with non-traditional organizations inside and outside the travel industry. All topics submitted to Tourism Cares will be considered for their relevance to the tourism industry.
- Reflection essay (one page): Explain how you expect your career to serve the travel and tourism or hospitality industry, and/or how the practical application of the findings of your proposed research study will serve the travel and tourism or hospitality industry.
**Please note this award will be made in two equal payments; one at the outset and the other after submission of final research to Tourism Cares.**
To apply, please visit the Tourism Cares Scholarships website. The deadline is April 9th at 5 p.m. EST.