The National Housing Endowment/Herman J. Smith Scholarship
The National Housing Endowment/Herman J. Smith Scholarship was created to honor Herman J. Smith and his lifelong commitment to the housing industry and the education of future generations of home builders.
Smith, a builder and developer in Tarrant County, Texas, and surrounding areas held numerous leadership positions in state and local home builder associations and as President of the National Association of Home Builders during his long career. He was inducted into the National Association of Home Builders' Housing Hall of Fame in 1987. His philanthropic contributions throughout the years benefited his church, his community, his industry, and his peers. His dedicated leadership and his exemplary life will remain as an inspiration to all those lives he touched during his lifetime. In keeping with his favorite motto, "always leave the woodpile higher than you found it," this scholarship fund commemorates an outstanding Texas and housing icon, Herman J. Smith.
- The applicant must be registered as a full-time undergraduate or graduate student for the coming fall semester and have at least one full academic year of course work remaining after the scholarship is awarded (Note: Students who will be a fifth year senior during the award year are not eligible)
- High school seniors are not eligible to apply
- The applicant must be majoring in construction management, mortgage finance or a construction-related field at an accredited four-year institution
- The applicant must demonstrate an interest in obtaining employment in the construction industry, mortgage finance, or a construction related field upon graduation.
- Preference will be given to:
- Applicants who are legal residents of Texas or attend an institution in Texas
- Students who are current members (or will be a member in the upcoming semester) of a student chapter of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) with both A) elected officers and B) a demonstrated program of activities; students whose school does not have a chapter are still welcome to apply
- Preference may be given to applicants who are juniors or seniors