If you’re actively considering a career as a physician, you’re well aware of the long, rigorous and demanding road ahead. With challenging coursework and fierce competition in the forecast, not everyone is up for the challenge...but that hasn’t necessarily translated into fewer students applying to medical school. According to U.S. News & World Report, medical school experts have predicted a shortage of doctors throughout the next decade but no shortage of prospective students. In 2012, total applications increased by 3.1 percent with the average number of applications at the top 10 medical schools totaling approximately 10,812. Check out the top 10 medical schools that receive the most applications for the most recent school year below:
- George Washington University – 14,700
- Drexel University College of Medicine – 12,690
- Boston University – 11,780
- Georgetown University – 11,733
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine – 11,523
- Temple University – 10,329
- Jefferson Medical College – 10,018
- New York Medical College – 8,682
- New York University – 8,351
- Tufts university – 8,318
Did your top-choice medical school make the list? If so, would you consider other schools with less competition?
College is expensive. Scholarships.com has done the work for you. Pay for your college education with free college scholarship money. Get matched to college scholarships instantly and start applying today by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.