A Second Chance for Former Prisoners, Gang Members

October 11, 2016
One nonprofit is heavily recruiting reformed delinquents from disadvantaged communities and funneling them into college. The troubled youth - many of whom have committed crimes and have been in jail, are given personal advisers, free college-prep courses, childcare, bus passes and other forms of support to keep off the streets.

College Bound Dorchester has enrolled about 130 students over the past three years and guides students into Bunker Hill and two other Boston Colleges - Roxbury Community college and Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology. Some students are homeless and others are victims of domestic abuse. In spite of their dark pasts, 30 percent have earned an associate or bachelor's degree and 60 percent of those who start the program continue the following year.

Giovanne Morris is proof that you can overcome hardship and become successful. Though he may have been previously known for "the destruction he caused growing up in a neighborhood teeming with guns, drugs, and violence", Morris recently received a standing ovation for his matriculation speech at Bunker Hill Community College. He is currently headed into his second semester of college, majoring in human services and hoping to become a counselor for a middle school or nonprofit organization. He described his struggle to fit in with his peers, often feeling "more accepted in the streets." His ankle monitor and the scar on his wrist are a reminder of the past he has chosen to leave behind in order to pursue greater opportunities for himself and his son and daughter.

Morris hopes to be a "different kind of role model" than he was prior to joining College Bound Dorchester. The program, which is located in one of Boston's most dangerous neighborhoods scopes out 17-27-year-olds with "a track record of leading their peers into crime" and turns them into "core influencers" who can utilize their "charisma and leadership that got them into trouble to become positive influences in their communities." The cost of achieving this goal isn't cheap - funds come from mostly private donations but is worth it, according to leaders who claim it's cheaper than the alternative.

College is expensive. Scholarships.com has done the work for you. Pay for your college education with free college scholarship money. Get matched to college scholarships instantly and start applying today by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.

Stephen K  on  11/2/2016 6:40:55 PM commented:

I have one of the worst charges you could have and I got luck and only got ten years of probation with no prison. Since I started probation and almost no one wants to hire me I decided that I will have to hire myself. Having no idea what I wanted to do I enrolled at Valencia College. They rejected my application saying I was a risk to their students. I appealed it they let me in and 3 years later I am now a certified Computer Programming Specialist and I am gong to make apps for small to medium sized businesses and websites. I lost my financial aid a little over a year ago and Valencia is around $350 per class so I have been working and paying little by little each month taking only one class per semester. Next semester I will get my financial aid back and will finish my associates degree. I was in a homeless camp with my fiance for 8 months so I could afford class. Times have been hard but you can get thru if you stick to the plan even if you don't know what that plan is. It will come with time. Don't ever quit or give up. I am a great example of that. Be strong no matter what and you will succeed.

mohamed ibnu yousuf abdalla  on  10/21/2016 8:43:03 AM commented:

Ibrahim Yusuf  on  10/17/2016 12:01:18 PM commented:

I Have Never Commit Crime That Lead Me To Jail,but I Suffer From Abject Poverty Which Hinder Me From Archieved My Educational Right.I Want To Be Part Of The Beneficiaries.Thanks

Candace H  on  10/15/2016 2:02:24 PM commented:

I think it is really cool that they're getting second chances because everyone deserves it. It will help our communities and country in the long run

Destiny .N.  on  10/13/2016 10:19:32 PM commented:

OK well I was just released from a federal prison in June.. How do we apply for the second chance act grant??

Arion W.  on  10/13/2016 6:34:46 PM commented:

I believe that everyone deserves a second chance. What happened in the past should not deflect your future. Everyone did not grow up the same or live in the same places, so you can't judge someone. There are low income and high income flailed who liv different lifestyles, and that re intales how you grow. How you learn and what you do. Those who made mistakes had to have had a cause for doing that and realized they were better than that. But it would have been too late. There should always be a second chance, because everyone messes yo sometimes, right.

Chaitanya allu  on  10/11/2016 11:16:50 PM commented:

Really good

Jordin S.  on  10/11/2016 6:35:48 PM commented:

Living in a lower income home and community, I have always faced the risk of running into crime, violence, drugs and so on. However, my family, teachers, and peers never pet that hinder their encouragement for a collage bond future. Dispute where you come from, if you have the motivation, passion, and support for higher success, you will be able to excel no matter your circumstances.

It’s nearly mid-January already and by now you all should have completed the FAFSA and, if you are on top of things, be applying to scholarships on a daily or at least semi-weekly basis. Even if you haven’t started the scholarship application process yet, you still have a ton of opportunities ahead of you. We are in the heart of scholarship season, with the most scholarships coming online in January of any month in 2023. Below, we put together a list of five great examples of very significant scholarships ranging from ten grand all the way up to $40,000.

Top 5 Scholarships Worth $10K to $40K in January

January 12, 2023
by Kevin Ladd
In just a few days, 2022 will be behind us and a new year begins. Will this be your year? One very productive way to spend the next several days of winter break would be to get a jump on upcoming scholarships and January 2023 has a LOT from which you may choose.

New Year, New Scholarships; January 2023 Edition

December 28, 2022
by Kevin Ladd
It is officially late-December; the end of the year, the conclusion of semester one and quarter two. Hanukkah is halfway over already with Christmas and New Year’s merely days away. Students and teachers are either on break or about to be and before you know it, we’ll be kicking off 2023!

Last Chance for These 2022 Scholarship Deadlines

December 21, 2022
by Kevin Ladd
As the cost of college continues to rise every year, more and more students are looking for scholarships to bridge the gap. And as many of you may already be aware, applying for a scholarship can take a fair amount of time and effort on your part.

Amazon Future Engineer Scholarship

December 14, 2022
by Zina Kumok
So many scholarships become available in December as the college application season winds down and students look for additional ways to finance their education. As the semester comes to an end and we look forward to winter break, there are going to be so many opportunities to help you take out the absolute minimum in student loans and find scholarships that not only help you pay for school, but also stand out as major accomplishments and indicators to colleges, grad schools and future employers. Applying for and winning scholarships tells all of the aforementioned that you are someone who is ambitious and proactive and always striving to better your situation.

Top 5 December Scholarships & More

December 7, 2022
by Kevin Ladd
Metallica, an extremely popular heavy metal band from the 80’s is recently enjoying new-found popularity and relevance with a new generation, thanks to the popular television show “Stranger Things”. Not only did they create the incredibly popular song “Enter Sandman” and “One”, they have also founded the Metallica Scholars Initiative. $100,000 in scholarships will be available for students studying in career programs through Metallica’s All Within My Hands Foundation (AWMH).

Metallica Foundation Offers Trades-Based Scholarships

November 30, 2022
by Kevin Ladd
When it comes to financial aid, there are two types that tend to be seen as the most desirable: scholarships and grants. But while most people are familiar with scholarships, grants are less well understood.

Grants: the Other Way to Get Free College Money

November 22, 2022
by Zina Kumok
With the fall semester almost ending, it’s a good time to apply for scholarships. Students can utilize their Thanksgiving break to apply for the scholarships listed below. Want more opportunities? They can also find a full list of November scholarships here.

Top 5 November Scholarships