A Second Chance for Former Prisoners, Gang Members

October 11, 2016
One nonprofit is heavily recruiting reformed delinquents from disadvantaged communities and funneling them into college. The troubled youth - many of whom have committed crimes and have been in jail, are given personal advisers, free college-prep courses, childcare, bus passes and other forms of support to keep off the streets.

College Bound Dorchester has enrolled about 130 students over the past three years and guides students into Bunker Hill and two other Boston Colleges - Roxbury Community college and Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology. Some students are homeless and others are victims of domestic abuse. In spite of their dark pasts, 30 percent have earned an associate or bachelor's degree and 60 percent of those who start the program continue the following year.

Giovanne Morris is proof that you can overcome hardship and become successful. Though he may have been previously known for "the destruction he caused growing up in a neighborhood teeming with guns, drugs, and violence", Morris recently received a standing ovation for his matriculation speech at Bunker Hill Community College. He is currently headed into his second semester of college, majoring in human services and hoping to become a counselor for a middle school or nonprofit organization. He described his struggle to fit in with his peers, often feeling "more accepted in the streets." His ankle monitor and the scar on his wrist are a reminder of the past he has chosen to leave behind in order to pursue greater opportunities for himself and his son and daughter.

Morris hopes to be a "different kind of role model" than he was prior to joining College Bound Dorchester. The program, which is located in one of Boston's most dangerous neighborhoods scopes out 17-27-year-olds with "a track record of leading their peers into crime" and turns them into "core influencers" who can utilize their "charisma and leadership that got them into trouble to become positive influences in their communities." The cost of achieving this goal isn't cheap - funds come from mostly private donations but is worth it, according to leaders who claim it's cheaper than the alternative.

Stephen K  on  11/2/2016 6:40:55 PM commented:

I have one of the worst charges you could have and I got luck and only got ten years of probation with no prison. Since I started probation and almost no one wants to hire me I decided that I will have to hire myself. Having no idea what I wanted to do I enrolled at Valencia College. They rejected my application saying I was a risk to their students. I appealed it they let me in and 3 years later I am now a certified Computer Programming Specialist and I am gong to make apps for small to medium sized businesses and websites. I lost my financial aid a little over a year ago and Valencia is around $350 per class so I have been working and paying little by little each month taking only one class per semester. Next semester I will get my financial aid back and will finish my associates degree. I was in a homeless camp with my fiance for 8 months so I could afford class. Times have been hard but you can get thru if you stick to the plan even if you don't know what that plan is. It will come with time. Don't ever quit or give up. I am a great example of that. Be strong no matter what and you will succeed.

mohamed ibnu yousuf abdalla  on  10/21/2016 8:43:03 AM commented:

Ibrahim Yusuf  on  10/17/2016 12:01:18 PM commented:

I Have Never Commit Crime That Lead Me To Jail,but I Suffer From Abject Poverty Which Hinder Me From Archieved My Educational Right.I Want To Be Part Of The Beneficiaries.Thanks

Candace H  on  10/15/2016 2:02:24 PM commented:

I think it is really cool that they're getting second chances because everyone deserves it. It will help our communities and country in the long run

Destiny .N.  on  10/13/2016 10:19:32 PM commented:

OK well I was just released from a federal prison in June.. How do we apply for the second chance act grant??

Arion W.  on  10/13/2016 6:34:46 PM commented:

I believe that everyone deserves a second chance. What happened in the past should not deflect your future. Everyone did not grow up the same or live in the same places, so you can't judge someone. There are low income and high income flailed who liv different lifestyles, and that re intales how you grow. How you learn and what you do. Those who made mistakes had to have had a cause for doing that and realized they were better than that. But it would have been too late. There should always be a second chance, because everyone messes yo sometimes, right.

Chaitanya allu  on  10/11/2016 11:16:50 PM commented:

Really good

Jordin S.  on  10/11/2016 6:35:48 PM commented:

Living in a lower income home and community, I have always faced the risk of running into crime, violence, drugs and so on. However, my family, teachers, and peers never pet that hinder their encouragement for a collage bond future. Dispute where you come from, if you have the motivation, passion, and support for higher success, you will be able to excel no matter your circumstances.

E-tail giant Amazon is now accepting applications to its Amazon Future Engineer Scholarship Program for students entering college in the fall of 2020. The scholarship program offers 100 current high school seniors from underserved and underrepresented communities across the country the opportunity to receive $40,000 scholarships to study computer science at a four-year college or university and a guaranteed paid internship offer at Amazon after the completion of their first year.

Amazon Offers $40K Future Engineer Scholarships

November 6, 2019 1:41 PM
In response to the NCAA's vote to allow athletes to profit from their names, images and likeness, Senator Richard Burr of North Carolina has proposed taxing those scholarships. Senator Burr tweeted: If college athletes are going to make money off their likenesses while in school, their scholarships should be treated like income. I'll be introducing legislation that subjects scholarships given to athletes who choose to 'cash in' to income taxes.

NC Senator Proposes Taxing of Athletic Scholarships

October 31, 2019 4:02 PM
Gucci is releasing a new line of... diversity undergraduate scholarships for students who are traditionally underrepresented in the fashion industry. The 1.5 million U.S. university college scholarship program is set to run for four years, targeting students who attend four-year universities. Special consideration will be given to those residing in Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Toronto and Washington, D.C and/or for those who plan to attend or are currently attending a Historically Black College and University (HBCU).

Gucci Gaffe Results in Green for Grads

October 8, 2019 2:28 PM
Gucci is releasing a new line of... diversity undergraduate scholarships for students who are "traditionally underrepresented in the fashion industry." The 1.5 million U.S. university college
Not every student who goes to college completes their degree, much less finishes it within the normal four-year time frame. The Texas of A&M University has spent years working to re-enroll students who stopped out of college for a year or more, and may have found a solution in partnering with ReUp Education.

Texas A&M Working to Re-enroll College Stopouts

September 26, 2019 2:15 PM
Not every student who goes to college completes their degree, much less finishes it within the "normal" four-year time frame. The Texas of A&M University has spent years working to re-enroll students
 Photo credit: Jared Ames

A new PBS documentary exhibiting prison education, titled College Behind Bars is set to air on November 25 and 26. The four-part series documents the journeys of dozens of incarcerated men and women as they pursue college degrees in the Bard Prison Initiative - deemed one of the most rigorous prison education programs in the United States, according to Inside Higher Ed.

PBS Airs Documentary About Higher Ed in Prison

September 18, 2019 11:53 AM
Photo credit: Jared Ames A new PBS documentary exhibiting prison education, titled "College Behind Bars" is set to air on November 25 and 26. The four-part series documents the journeys of dozens
The federal government discharged more than $43 million in student loan debt for former students of recently closed for-profit colleges. Students who attended programs operated by Education Corporation of America, Dream Center Education Holdings, Vatterott College and Charlotte School of Law will be able to qualify for a full discharge of their federal loans if they were enrolled when their college closed or withdrew within 120 days of the official closure date and didn’t transfer to another institution, according to Inside Higher Education.

$43M in Loans Forgiven for Students of Closed Colleges

September 6, 2019 9:18 AM
College Board is ditching its previous plan to capture socioeconomic information from students with a single score - also known as an adversity score - when scoring their SAT college admissions test. The score would have taken into account a student's socioeconomic background and the neighborhood in which they grew up.

College Board Backpedals - No Adversity Score to be Added

August 30, 2019 2:05 PM
College Board is ditching its previous plan to capture socioeconomic information from students with a single score - also known as an "adversity score" - when scoring their SAT college admissions
Female-only college and university STEM programs are coming under fire for male discrimination as they attempt to redress gender imbalance in fields such as computer science and engineering. The U.S. Department of Education launched more than two dozen investigations into higher education institutions nationwide - including UC Berkeley, UCLA and USC as well as Yale, Princeton and Rice - which offer female-only scholarships, awards and professional development workshops.

Female-Only Scholarships Under Fire In Higher Ed

August 20, 2019 4:57 PM
Female-only college and university STEM programs are coming under fire for male discrimination as they attempt to "redress gender imbalance" in fields such as computer science and engineering. The