ACT Report: African American Students Unprepared for College

August 10, 2015
by Scholarships.com Staff
Amid concerns our educational system is failing a large percentage of our students, particularly African American students, a national report released by American College Testing (ACT) shows many African American students lack college readiness. While these students were able to fulfill the requirements and pass all recommended high school courses, they lagged behind their peers in terms of higher education preparedness. This according to a new report from ACT and United Negro College Fund.

"Even when they are doing what they are supposed to do in terms of taking the recommended college preparatory curriculum and earning a high school diploma, too many lack sufficient preparation for first-year college courses", said Jim Larimore, ACT’s chief officer for advancement of underserved learners.

ACT suggests that schools start monitoring students' progress in earlier grades, develop tougher high school core courses, and ensure support and attention for off-target students.

We certainly hope that your elementary, middle and high schools are providing you with the education and support you need to pursue a college education. Visit Scholarships.com to start your free college scholarship search and find free money to go towards your college education.

College is expensive. Scholarships.com has done the work for you. Pay for your college education with free college scholarship money. Get matched to college scholarships instantly and start applying today by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.

Esther Matturie  on  8/18/2015 7:48:40 PM commented:

I am a mother of three but interested in doing Cosmology, but need financial help. I believe you're in the position of helping many which I believe am one of those.

Adora B.  on  8/18/2015 2:24:20 PM commented:

Too little information. All African American students do not lag behind their white cohorts. Neither do all Native American students. Please be sure to include all the data next time you report on this topic. Otherwise, it comes across as unfavorable.

Nicholas L  on  8/18/2015 6:58:54 AM commented:

i think a lot of this unreadiness depends on the student and most likely their home environment. Obviously high school to college is a huge transition, many students are not prepared for this. I believe the more AP classes you can take in high school will somewhat prepare you for college life.

Sla  on  8/15/2015 6:48:51 PM commented:

i have a child who is going off to college. We have to pay the way, even tho my child had a 3.5 GPA did not get any scholarship money because we are not Hispanic, one family income, divorced, or not African American and my child worked 30 hours a week while maintaining the 3.5 GPA We are struggling to pay her way, you would think quality is better than quantity. The only way to bring students up is to train the parents raising their child not wait till their in high school. "Family training"!

Martha D  on  8/14/2015 9:22:32 PM commented:

when schools have low bars and barely prepare minority children to succeed in college, economics don't even come into play. No challenges and low standards does not prepare anyone for success. Systems are not only failing black students to succeed but are also failing college graduates of all races to be successful in the work environment; if it weren't for nepotism the average college grad is ill prepared to succeed with minimal support in the real work world. Many are mentored done of the most minimal tasks... How to think, observe, critic; the list goes on. So the failure of minority students is the tip of a failing educational process of one of the wealthiest countries. This country would have the best and brightest and a large majority of success stories regardless of race if the investment was in educating all Americans at all ages and levels.

JP Maia  on  8/14/2015 12:05:32 PM commented:

I don't know much about American history to understand why this is happening specifically with African American students. However, it is understandable the lack of preparedness for some students to attend college. It is important to notice that the change from high school to college is huge. It's not the same thing as going from one year to the next in high school, which happens naturally. The transition from high school to college should be assisted. Some students will adapt easier than other, but some will need professional help to get things on track.

Peter  on  8/14/2015 9:57:06 AM commented:

The results of Social promotion and reduce standards are showing up in all different aspect of our country

Cecilia Washington  on  8/14/2015 5:49:49 AM commented:

I agree with the above and that is why I'm doing all I can for my children because I had no one to do this or lead me in the right direction! Thank you all!

Willieyour A  on  8/14/2015 2:38:38 AM commented:

I think that this is somewhat true depending on your background and family situation. If a parent have been to college then they will prepare their children for college. However on the other hand if they have never been and don't have the where withal to know what it takes to be successful in college then it is a great possibility that their student will not be successful. Then you have that individual or those individuals who are determined to make it and be successful regardless to their cultural circumstances and background. The statistics may actually show that students are more successful in college if they are prepared. It is safe to say that African American have a greater possibility of attending college less prepared.

Alize Steeley  on  8/13/2015 1:10:43 PM commented:

I just want to be successful and graduate college .Paying for school tends to be a hassle with college expenses . A scholarship would put nothing in my way of accomplishing my goals .

Frederickeason fme  on  8/13/2015 3:35:01 AM commented:

please help me get in college

Kerri W  on  8/12/2015 10:04:04 PM commented:

I personally agree with some of that statement.: I am a second generation college student . My mother went to college and had to work while attendance college because there was no college fund, scholarship or any help to get to a local Technical College. I would like to be a receiver of some assistance and scholarships so that I can start turning some of the negative statement about why black lack the drive to be ready for first year college.

Gayla H  on  8/12/2015 1:53:39 PM commented:

I believe

Gayla H  on  8/12/2015 1:52:49 PM commented:

I believe the truth behind the statement is only because in the African American community lots of African Americans may be in that class that is above low but under middle and are unable to afford to send their children to college making it harder for the children to go to college and making them want to get a job and help their family out more than go to college and get an education. Me myself being a black African American person I wanted to get a job instead of going to college however now being a adult having a child of my own I am struggling trying to level out working a job raising my child and going to school myself because I see the importance of education. So those are the hardships of the African American community.

DV  on  8/11/2015 11:11:40 PM commented:

I live in Baltimore city. I went to an all black city elematarty school. Then a mostly white county middle school for 2 years. After That a mostly white catholic school my 8th grade year. For HS I returned to the city. All through my four years I noticed that things I learned in middle school my classmates in this all black Baltimore city school never were taught. I definitely feel that I am not fully prepared for my first year of college this fall. However, I will not let that deter me from my goal of a bachelors degree in four years. In fact it just means that I will have to work harder than ever before. I look forward to this challenge. I also agree with this article that monitoring progress at ealier grades and more challenging HS courses in African American communities will help them to be competitive and equipted for college in the future.

Briana Robertson  on  8/11/2015 8:27:39 PM commented:

this is exactly what I was talking about, because I as a student struggle wen it comes to the test . The reports show that I am not college ready ,but my grades speak otherwise I think this is a good thing right here

Shermarke G  on  8/11/2015 7:38:22 PM commented:

I am an African American college student and I hold these statistics to be self evident. Coming out of highschool, I wasent prepared for the real world. eg. In holding my self financially responsible for my own education, Growing up I was told it was going to be hard but was never described how hard exactly. My mother attended American University in Washington, D.C. My father never attended college. & sure FAFSA helped partly through college but it was never enough. I have applied for numerous scholarships but never actually received any. The point im trying to convey is, being repetitively told that college is important is not the same as finishing college!

Rashid Y.  on  8/11/2015 6:07:45 PM commented:

I totally agree

Pedro D.  on  8/11/2015 5:28:55 PM commented:

Why is it offensive. The language used was not demeaning. It did not suggest anything other than a lack of preparation, which can be laid at the feet of a combination of individuals, groups and policies. It only serves to point out a problem and should drive us to find a solution. Being "offended" and ignoring data because ones feelings are hurt does very little to change the facts. In short fix the problem not the blame.

Mel k  on  8/11/2015 4:20:57 PM commented:

you can't say a vague statement like 'African Americans not ready for college bc statistics show that' and then not tell us these statistics. what about how many kids go to a 'good' school? what about kids who don't have good hone life based on socioeconomic racism? this is not a matter of 'black kids are lazy in school', this is way way deeper than that. and regardless, being a college freshman is hard on MANY people, no matter race. high school prepares no one for college. to top it all off, this 'blog post' needs to be better worded. it sounds pretty offensive and puts black people in a bad spot.

Airiana  on  8/11/2015 4:10:01 PM commented:

As an African American student in my last year of high school I feel that I'm not behind but actually ahead of a lot of other students in my year.Also I'm perfectly prepared for college in a year and that just because a study is done doesn't mean everyone falls into it so we shouldn't be based off of something that's not conclusive and offensive.

Lex  on  8/11/2015 3:48:06 PM commented:

As an african american I find this passage offensive and black people should not be judged on how they prepare themselves. ??

Derek L.  on  8/11/2015 3:24:08 PM commented:

I was prepared as an African American student because I had family behind me that taught me the ins and outs of college. But mostly its all about life experiences that prepare you

Adora B.  on  8/11/2015 3:06:21 PM commented:

jl  on  8/11/2015 2:57:10 PM commented:

I didn't get FASA for school so my parents had to pay for it

Samantha M.  on  8/11/2015 2:56:14 PM commented:

This is offensive and lies

Michael B  on  8/11/2015 2:27:24 PM commented:

More information??

Derris L.  on  8/11/2015 2:20:17 PM commented:

The statistics don't lie. And I love how they give high school seniors possibilities no matter the ethnic group or race. Going to college does not have to lead to massive debt in the future; but with scholarships available, it's possible that African Americans and American Indians can have a better change by becoming better in academics and more financially secure.

Drew price R  on  8/11/2015 2:02:26 PM commented:

that was very offensive and I'll be deleting this app because of it

We want to wish all of our Jewish students a Happy Hanukkah! May you enjoy lots of family time and laughter this holiday season. During your final nights of Hanukkah, we hope you get your fill of delicious latkes, dreidel games, gift opening and great memories.

Jewish Student Scholarship Spotlight

December 3, 2021 2:36 PM
by Liz Montenegro
Adam Sandler undoubtedly paved the way in bringing the celebration of Hanukkah to the forefront of pop culture with his wildly famous “Hanukkah” song debut in 1994 on Saturday Night Live (did you know there is now a “Hanukkah” Part 4?). In the song, Sandler draws attention to famous Jews in mainstream culture. You may be wondering which celebrities are observing Hanukkah this year. Before we dive into Hollywood, let’s answer the question of why these “eight CRAZY nights” are celebrated by millions of Jewish people across the globe.

Hanukkah 2021: Celebrities You Didn’t Know Were Jewish

December 2, 2021 3:20 PM
by Liz Montenegro
Starting college is a very exciting time. Dorm life is full of new experiences, and many scholarships are available that can help cover the cost of your room and board. Like everything else, there are pros and cons to living in a college dorm.

College Dorms: Should You Give On-Campus Living a Try?

November 30, 2021 4:02 PM
by Liz Montenegro
When asked the question, “Who was your favorite teacher or coach growing up?” For most anyone, an image of that educator’s face immediately pops up in their mind. What was it about that person that made them stand out? Maybe it was the way they encouraged or inspired you as no others had previously done. Perhaps they saw something in you that helped you to gain the confidence to achieve a goal that had once seemed unattainable. The truth is, there are as many answers to this question as there are people in this world. One common denominator unites them: it all started with the foundation of mutual respect and trust this individual established with you.

This Week is American Education Week 2021

November 18, 2021 1:54 PM
by Liz Montenegro
Since the beginning of our nation, Native Americans and Indigenous communities have been a powerful influence on modern U.S. society. Although art, beadwork, music and dancing may first come to mind when you think of Native American contributions to today’s culture, did you know that many of the foods we consider to be staples, such as potatoes, wild rice, beans, corn, and peanuts were first grown and harvested by Native Americans? Not only that, but Native American groups also taught European settlers some of their farming techniques to help them survive and live off of the land, many of those practices are still used today. American Indians were also the inventors of goods we rely on every day, like topical pain relievers, baby bottles, and even rubber products.

In November, We Celebrate Native American Heritage Month

November 12, 2021 4:07 PM
by Liz Montenegro
Are you a high school student looking for opportunities to help others around you and set yourself apart on college applications? With the holiday season in full swing, this is the perfect time to start your search for volunteering opportunities in your area. Along with strengthening ties to your community, serving as a volunteer demonstrates to colleges that you have given your time and energy to help those in need, and that you have applied the knowledge you’ve gained in your studies to real-world settings. Many college applications and scholarships have a minimum number of community service hours that their applicants must complete in order to be eligible. But just because it is a requirement, doesn’t mean it cannot also be a meaningful experience.

Community Service Benefits Everyone

November 8, 2021 3:12 PM
by Liz Montenegro
 With Veteran’s Day quickly approaching, what better way to honor our U.S. military members and their families than to shine a spotlight on the scholarships and grants available to them? Military life often presents unique challenges that can be overwhelming for the entire family. Lengthy deployments and frequent changes of station are just a few obstacles military families face, but their strength and perseverance through these hardships is truly remarkable. As a way to honor their sacrifices, Scholarships.com offers a wide variety of grants and scholarships to help offset the cost of college as they pursue their educational goals.

Scholarships for Military Members and Dependents

October 29, 2021 3:24 PM
by Liz Montenegro
FAFSA is an acronym. It stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Please take note that the first word in the acronym is Free. You do not need to pay to fill out the FAFSA but there are certainly websites out there that will charge you for their assistance. If you are asked for a credit card at any point in the process, you are at one of these sites. If you do not want to pay to complete the FAFSA, be sure to apply at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa. The FAFSA must be completed by you and your family each year if you wish to be considered for need-based grants from the college or university you are or will be attending as well as subsidized student loans.

What is the FAFSA?

October 8, 2021 2:52 PM
by Scholarships.com Staff
FAFSA is an acronym. It stands for "Free Application for Federal Student Aid". Please take note that the first word in the acronym is "Free". You do not need to pay to fill out the FAFSA but there
A study abroad program can be the beginning of the most exciting chapter of your college experience. Often, the travel, housing, credits and even food are included in the price of the program you choose. However, this is no reason not to look for more financial opportunities!

Want to Study Abroad? Find Scholarships

August 31, 2021 12:30 PM
by Scholarships.com Staff
As you get ready for this next big step in your life, this last year at home can feel like the longest and the shortest you ever had! While you prepare to select a college and research scholarships and financial aid, don’t forget to spend some quality time with your friends and family. While movies, even when based on a true story, are always a little bit fantastic, they are also works of art that share experiences among their viewers.

Movie Night! College Classics