Weighted vs. Unweighted GPA

September 12, 2007
by Scholarships.com Staff
The terms weighted and unweighted get thrown around a lot when students reach their senior year of high school. Scholarship providers, grant providers, employees and colleges are frequently unified in their interest in a student’s Grade Point Average (GPA). They are not as unified in the GPA format they would like to see.

The terms "weighted" and "unweighted" get thrown around a lot when students reach their senior year of high school. Scholarship providers, grant providers, employees and colleges are frequently unified in their interest in a student’s Grade Point Average (GPA). They are not as unified in the GPA format they would like to see.

This is what is they mean when they ask for your weighted or unweighted GPA.

Weighted GPA

Many schools offer accelerated and Advanced Placement (AP) classes to students who show academic merit. To distinguish an “A” in the advanced geometry class from that in the regular one, schools often assign a different point system to harder classes. They may, for example, bump up a student’s grade by .5 points if the class they took was accelerated.  Therefore, a student with three “Bs” in a regular class may have a 3.0 GPA while one with three “Bs” in advanced classes may have a 3.5 GPA. If a student takes only accelerated classes and their school bumps up each accelerated grade by one point, they may potentially earn a 5.0 GPA. The weight a school assigns to each class varies, and straight “A” students can graduate with different weighted GPAs depending on the school they attended.

Unweighted GPA

The unweighted GPA is the average of all class grades based on a 4.0 scale. If the student earned an “A” in an advanced English class, the unweighted grade would still be a 4.0-- the corresponding number on standard grade conversion charts--instead of, for example, a 4.5. Regardless of class level, each class is graded on the same point system. Things can get a bit confusing when schools have an unweighted scale but still offer and “A+” that is worth 4.3 points. While still unweighted, this GPA is higher than a 4.0.

Generally, however, an unweighted GPA peaks at 4.0.  Students who have taken accelerated classes may have lower GPAs on this scale, but those who have a regular schedule may fare better in class rank once everyone is on the same playing field. Because the weight a school attaches to each accelerated class varies, an unweighted GPA allows schools and award providers to see a student’s performance on the same scale, regardless of the school they attended. Unfortunately, additional efforts exerted in advanced classes may not be as visible.

At Scholarships.com, students are asked to state their GPAs on a 4.0 scale. Students who received anything above a 4.0 should record their GPA as 4.0. If a scholarship provider asks the student for GPA information, they may then offer in-depth information.

Get instantly matched to scholarships that meet your skillset, strengths and unique talents. Our search algorithms match you to scholarships that fit your profile. Access a complete list of college scholarships now by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.

Posted Under : College Culture , GPA , High School

Richard  on  2/13/2021 3:23:45 PM commented:

3.41 unweighted gpa 4.07 weighed gpa am in 11 grade is this good enough for scholarships. I been taking approved classes for 2 years

jm  on  5/4/2019 10:27:42 AM commented:

Are there automatic scholarships for being valedictorian?

Myron Z.  on  5/16/2017 3:39:18 PM commented:

What if a college just says that they have a minimum GPA requirement, 3.8, for example and they don't specify the format? Do you assume that they mean the weighted or unweighted GPA?

Steven R.  on  11/15/2016 7:13:44 PM commented:

In general, when asked for an unweighted GPA, do they want on for that year, or all of High School?

jane c  on  9/2/2016 5:39:20 AM commented:

I go to a school that does not have weighted GPA but all the classes are advanced placement or honors classes. So everyone has to work hard. I've got a 3.9 so how will it compare to a kid from a school with a weighted GPA that only took 3 or 4 honors classes?

Opee  on  5/17/2016 5:17:44 PM commented:

I have 3.5 GPA. I worked very very hard for it. Many people always say I'm so lucky to have that high average. To be honest, it's not mere luck I started off with a 2.1 GPA but see me now. I get a little hurt when people think I was lucky enough. I wasn't. I only got there because I'm constantly moving out of my comfort zone to get every single work done. When my friends are talking or chatting class. I become a "nerd" when I chose homework instead of hanging out after school. This marking period I've worked the hardest. And I hope I get a 3.6 or higher GPA. Thank you. I'm sorry for your precious time.

brandon d  on  5/17/2016 4:46:46 PM commented:

You guys don't get it. You think you can do things the way you want and still be able to do whatever you want. If you want to go to an ivy league college, you better have a 4.0 or higher, no excpetions, those who do not do good in school will reflect so in their grades and GPA. It doesn't matter if you work hard and dumb or have strive and dumb, like your going to screw stuff up, leave It to the lazy smart dude who can actually do the job.

Kiara =)  on  3/30/2016 7:06:20 PM commented:

This year in high school I've learned that GPA isn't that important. Of course it's important to get into a great college. But when your school district changes the GPA grading scale and starts to hurt the student who are in the top of the class, like myself that's a serious problem. When student who wouldn't have a good GPA, but literally only have good GPA's because of the new grading scale. It's like student in the top of the class have been working hard since freshmen year for nothing. BTW I'm in the top 15% of my class with a 84 average.

Rachel T  on  2/22/2016 5:40:04 PM commented:

Transcrpits and GPA don't prove that much. A GPA is your average grade after 4 years of high school. You weight GPA at least shows how much you tried to challenge yourself but even then sometime good grades come easy to people. Since childhood we are told having good GPA is important, but why? A GPA only show how good you where at school it doesn't demonstrate how hard you work or how much you grew. A student with a high GPA doesn't mean a student with a good work ethic or a drive to push themselves. It's normally the student with the low or average GPA that works hard everyday to Imporve themselves. If I was an adminstater I would take the hard working student over the naturally smart student anyday.

Brittany sephers  on  1/28/2016 11:00:51 PM commented:

I think that I have been doin really good in school and trying my best to get good grades I have a 2.97 and I'm so close to a 3.00 but I am a hard worker and I feel like my grades don't really show that because I make sure that I do all my work and stuff it's just I sometime forget and turn things in late but I'm a very hard worker and nice person because I know that I can do better and I will do better.

Owen S  on  1/19/2016 9:31:00 PM commented:

My High School Career got off to a mediocre start. My weighted GPA was 2.69 so that will go on my transcript.

Sierra G  on  12/11/2015 9:32:07 AM commented:

I think i am doing good in my school. I'm in a middle and i have a 4.0. But i must ask a very important question. Is a child's GPA so important that you would not let them into a school for which they have worked so hard for? Or how would you like it if your child was not accepted into a school because GPA matters more than there EDUCATION. These are the things we need to think about Not what your GPA is

mikeisha m  on  11/24/2015 2:26:46 PM commented:

Yes you're Gpa is important but is it so important that you wouldn't give a child a chance. My Gpa isn't that high but I'm dedicated I work and go to school I pay majority of my bills so I think it's better to have unweighed GPA but maybe that's just me

Esther Matturie  on  8/18/2015 7:57:01 PM commented:

I think you avail yourself in helping many that thinks there present situation is the end of life. But that's not true if only you're determine I am now even though I have three kids but yet want to improve myself in learning more you're willing to help me my fees. I want to do Cosmology.

Kandis M.  on  4/2/2015 3:58:49 PM commented:

What if your child's high school has a more challenging grading scale? 92.99 is a B here and roughly where we are overall. My daughters college is calculating the unweighted GPA on a 4.0 and it is not looking good. Is this often recalculated with the final transcript to take into account that her 92.99 was a B ? Or is a B considered a B regardless if the kid made a 92 in an AP class, like mine, where another made an 89 in a regular class and finished with a B . That seems crazy to me.

Brannon L.  on  3/31/2015 4:49:10 PM commented:

The author is correct. Most colleges and universities look at the unweighted GPA first. Do not discount the value of rigor, however. Most colleges will go on to "weight" the applicants GPA if they are taking advanced classes. Many will bump the score by an additional .5 points if the class is AP, IB, etc. Keep in mind that the admissions process is highly subjective; a candidate with a 4.0 that took only "regular" classes in the end will not be valued as highly as the student with a 3.5 (unweighted) who shows a history of challenging herself. For large state schools, which are primarily concerned with class rank, the system puts students who challenge themselves at a disadvantage. Schools that concern themselves with getting to know the student before admission is offered will take the level of academic rigor into consideration. This is why I spend so much time in my college planning practice advocating for smaller private colleges and universities.

on  2/16/2015 3:45:23 PM commented:

i need help asap

We want to wish all of our Jewish students a Happy Hanukkah! May you enjoy lots of family time and laughter this holiday season. During your final nights of Hanukkah, we hope you get your fill of delicious latkes, dreidel games, gift opening and great memories.

Jewish Student Scholarship Spotlight

December 3, 2021 2:36 PM
by Liz Montenegro
Adam Sandler undoubtedly paved the way in bringing the celebration of Hanukkah to the forefront of pop culture with his wildly famous “Hanukkah” song debut in 1994 on Saturday Night Live (did you know there is now a “Hanukkah” Part 4?). In the song, Sandler draws attention to famous Jews in mainstream culture. You may be wondering which celebrities are observing Hanukkah this year. Before we dive into Hollywood, let’s answer the question of why these “eight CRAZY nights” are celebrated by millions of Jewish people across the globe.

Hanukkah 2021: Celebrities You Didn’t Know Were Jewish

December 2, 2021 3:20 PM
by Liz Montenegro
Starting college is a very exciting time. Dorm life is full of new experiences, and many scholarships are available that can help cover the cost of your room and board. Like everything else, there are pros and cons to living in a college dorm.

College Dorms: Should You Give On-Campus Living a Try?

November 30, 2021 4:02 PM
by Liz Montenegro
When asked the question, “Who was your favorite teacher or coach growing up?” For most anyone, an image of that educator’s face immediately pops up in their mind. What was it about that person that made them stand out? Maybe it was the way they encouraged or inspired you as no others had previously done. Perhaps they saw something in you that helped you to gain the confidence to achieve a goal that had once seemed unattainable. The truth is, there are as many answers to this question as there are people in this world. One common denominator unites them: it all started with the foundation of mutual respect and trust this individual established with you.

This Week is American Education Week 2021

November 18, 2021 1:54 PM
by Liz Montenegro
Since the beginning of our nation, Native Americans and Indigenous communities have been a powerful influence on modern U.S. society. Although art, beadwork, music and dancing may first come to mind when you think of Native American contributions to today’s culture, did you know that many of the foods we consider to be staples, such as potatoes, wild rice, beans, corn, and peanuts were first grown and harvested by Native Americans? Not only that, but Native American groups also taught European settlers some of their farming techniques to help them survive and live off of the land, many of those practices are still used today. American Indians were also the inventors of goods we rely on every day, like topical pain relievers, baby bottles, and even rubber products.

In November, We Celebrate Native American Heritage Month

November 12, 2021 4:07 PM
by Liz Montenegro
Are you a high school student looking for opportunities to help others around you and set yourself apart on college applications? With the holiday season in full swing, this is the perfect time to start your search for volunteering opportunities in your area. Along with strengthening ties to your community, serving as a volunteer demonstrates to colleges that you have given your time and energy to help those in need, and that you have applied the knowledge you’ve gained in your studies to real-world settings. Many college applications and scholarships have a minimum number of community service hours that their applicants must complete in order to be eligible. But just because it is a requirement, doesn’t mean it cannot also be a meaningful experience.

Community Service Benefits Everyone

November 8, 2021 3:12 PM
by Liz Montenegro
 With Veteran’s Day quickly approaching, what better way to honor our U.S. military members and their families than to shine a spotlight on the scholarships and grants available to them? Military life often presents unique challenges that can be overwhelming for the entire family. Lengthy deployments and frequent changes of station are just a few obstacles military families face, but their strength and perseverance through these hardships is truly remarkable. As a way to honor their sacrifices, Scholarships.com offers a wide variety of grants and scholarships to help offset the cost of college as they pursue their educational goals.

Scholarships for Military Members and Dependents

October 29, 2021 3:24 PM
by Liz Montenegro
FAFSA is an acronym. It stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Please take note that the first word in the acronym is Free. You do not need to pay to fill out the FAFSA but there are certainly websites out there that will charge you for their assistance. If you are asked for a credit card at any point in the process, you are at one of these sites. If you do not want to pay to complete the FAFSA, be sure to apply at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa. The FAFSA must be completed by you and your family each year if you wish to be considered for need-based grants from the college or university you are or will be attending as well as subsidized student loans.

What is the FAFSA?

October 8, 2021 2:52 PM
by Scholarships.com Staff
FAFSA is an acronym. It stands for "Free Application for Federal Student Aid". Please take note that the first word in the acronym is "Free". You do not need to pay to fill out the FAFSA but there
A study abroad program can be the beginning of the most exciting chapter of your college experience. Often, the travel, housing, credits and even food are included in the price of the program you choose. However, this is no reason not to look for more financial opportunities!

Want to Study Abroad? Find Scholarships

August 31, 2021 12:30 PM
by Scholarships.com Staff
As you get ready for this next big step in your life, this last year at home can feel like the longest and the shortest you ever had! While you prepare to select a college and research scholarships and financial aid, don’t forget to spend some quality time with your friends and family. While movies, even when based on a true story, are always a little bit fantastic, they are also works of art that share experiences among their viewers.

Movie Night! College Classics