How Homeschooling Helped Prepare Me for College

August 29, 2012
by Kara Coleman

For my final Scholarships.com article, I was supposed to write about things homeschooled students can to do adjust to college whether they are living at home and commuting or moving to campus. As I sat holding my pen and staring at a blank piece of paper, however, all I could think about was how homeschooling actually helped better prepare me for college!

Homeschooling taught me how to study and pursue knowledge for myself. One of the top complaints I heard from my peers when I tutored at community college was that they didn’t really know how to study. I was not fed information via lecture when I was growing up – as a kid, my mom and I spent a lot of time reading and learning together and by the time I was in high school, Mom would give me my assignments and I would research and write about them myself.

This approach to education also helped me to think for myself and form my own opinions. My parents taught me to hold my beliefs and convictions to everything my professors tell me and to not be swayed by popular opinion. This sort of critical thinking led me to pursue and accept leadership positions when I began attending college, including editor-in-chief of my school paper and a member of the SGA Cabinet.

Time management is an important lesson that many students learn for the first time in college but I was able to learn how to juggle studying, extracurricular activities and a part-time job during my senior year of high school. In short, homeschooling more than prepared me for college life. If you were homeschooled and are preparing to attend college for the first time this semester, I think you’ll be surprised by how much you can take what you’ve learned at home and apply it to your college experience. Let me know if I’m right!

Kara Coleman graduated from Gadsden State Community College with an Associate of Arts degree and she is currently studying communications with concentration in print journalism at Jacksonville State University. Kara's writing has been featured in Teen Ink magazine and she is a children's author through Big Dif Books; she is also the editor-in-chief of JSU's student newspaper, The Chanticleer.

A. Mitchell  on  2/25/2015 8:00:47 AM commented:

After 10 years attending a private school I have now attended for my 2nd year a home school. Homeschooling was kinda a shock for me, its like Ive been under the warm water now suddenly cold water. It is really good for self-discpline and self-motivation. I would recommend it for sure, too many people are swept with peer-pressure or the ways of this world. Trust in the Lord he will never forsake you or leave you :)

Stephanie S  on  9/11/2012 9:52:01 AM commented:

Thanks so much for writing this article and for telling people homeschooling actually works! Go Homeschool!

Amanda P  on  9/8/2012 12:04:24 PM commented:

That's what I'm talking about!!! Haha, it's so true.

David G  on  9/7/2012 11:31:50 PM commented:

I must agree, that being homeschooled prepared me well for college, and made the transition very easy. The difficult courses that my parents chose for me laid a solid foundation, both academically, and Biblically. This has helped me to be successful while pursuing a difficult major at a university with high academic standards. Thank you Mom and Dad!

Enjoy a seasonal treat this season with fall scholarships from Scholarships.com to help pay your college tuition bill. Harvest some of the largest dollar scholarships, most prestigious scholarships, and brand name scholarships out there with our list of October scholarships. These autumn scholarships are so good you'll scream! So hurry and apply for these scholarships due in October and don't let them fall by the wayside. For a complete list of scholarships due in October, click here.

Harvest Fall Scholarships for College

September 7, 2017 3:42 PM
by Susan Dutca
If you're pursuing or thinking of pursuing a career in coding, you may be one of the 75,000 aspiring developers to land an Android Scholarship or Web Development Schoalrship, sponsored by Google and Udacity. Google and Udacity have been partnered over the past two years and doled 1,000 and 10,000 scholarships for coders in 2015 and 2016, respectively.

Google, Udacity Offer 75,000 Scholarships for Coders

September 5, 2017 1:14 PM
by Susan Dutca
San Diego State University plans to offer a course titled Black Lives Matter: A Focus on Black Boys and Men in Education, which will be open to the public for enrollment this coming October. The course, which will cover topics of how black men are undervalued in the classroom, is under fire for featuring “speakers whose members have been accused of inciting violence.

Black Lives Matter College Course Faces Criticism

August 30, 2017 8:32 AM
by Susan Dutca
San Diego State University plans to offer a course titled "Black Lives Matter: A Focus on Black Boys and Men in Education," which will be open to the public for enrollment this coming October. The
More and more colleges are introducing free college scholarship programs, with more than 20 states currently on board. The latest states to join the free community-college program initiative are Arkansas, Indiana, Montana and Rhode Island. Some critics claim that, while the idea sounds great, free college may not actually help those who need it most.

Free College Introduced in 4 More States

August 23, 2017 9:15 AM
by Susan Dutca
The looming 1.4 billion student debt haunts not only college students and graduates, but blue-collar students as well. Dozens of truck drivers recount the industry's hopeful advertisement and how they are left in debt with thousands of dollars in training fees and poor job prospects.

Blue-Collar Students Trucking Through Student Debt

August 15, 2017 2:24 PM
by Susan Dutca

Just because you're already in college - even halfway through or in your final year - doesn't mean you couldn't use more financial aid to help pay your college tuition bill. Scholarships for college students are everywhere, including undergraduate scholarships and scholarships for grad students. In fact, many of the prestigious scholarships and large dollar scholarships out there are offered to college students. We understand college students' hectic schedules and having to balance academics, athletics, and extracurricular, so we've put together a wholesome list of scholarships for college students to make things easier for you. Don't forget to check out even more scholarships for undergraduate students and graduate scholarships by conducting a college scholarship search:

Find Scholarships for College Students

August 9, 2017 2:17 PM
by Scholarships.com Staff
$7.3 million will be spent to create or expand free college education programs in New York prisons. Among the seven colleges who will offer the College-in-Prison Reentry Program at 17 state correctional facilities over the next five years is Cornell University.

NY to Spend $7.3M on College-in-Prison Program

August 8, 2017 9:56 AM
by Susan Dutca

School is starting again soon. For some, that may bring a sense of dread - back to early morning alarms, late night homework, and for others, having to start college applications or finding ways to pay upcoming tuition bills. If searching for and applying to scholarships wasn't on your summer bucket list and you're now scrambling to find last-minute college scholarships, don't worry. We took it upon ourselves to create a Back to School Scholarship list. Whether you're a high school student, incoming college freshman or returning college student, get financially ready for a new school year with these back to school scholarships:

Back to School Scholarships 2017