How Homeschooling Helped Prepare Me for College

August 29, 2012
by Kara Coleman

For my final Scholarships.com article, I was supposed to write about things homeschooled students can to do adjust to college whether they are living at home and commuting or moving to campus. As I sat holding my pen and staring at a blank piece of paper, however, all I could think about was how homeschooling actually helped better prepare me for college!

Homeschooling taught me how to study and pursue knowledge for myself. One of the top complaints I heard from my peers when I tutored at community college was that they didn’t really know how to study. I was not fed information via lecture when I was growing up – as a kid, my mom and I spent a lot of time reading and learning together and by the time I was in high school, Mom would give me my assignments and I would research and write about them myself.

This approach to education also helped me to think for myself and form my own opinions. My parents taught me to hold my beliefs and convictions to everything my professors tell me and to not be swayed by popular opinion. This sort of critical thinking led me to pursue and accept leadership positions when I began attending college, including editor-in-chief of my school paper and a member of the SGA Cabinet.

Time management is an important lesson that many students learn for the first time in college but I was able to learn how to juggle studying, extracurricular activities and a part-time job during my senior year of high school. In short, homeschooling more than prepared me for college life. If you were homeschooled and are preparing to attend college for the first time this semester, I think you’ll be surprised by how much you can take what you’ve learned at home and apply it to your college experience. Let me know if I’m right!

Kara Coleman graduated from Gadsden State Community College with an Associate of Arts degree and she is currently studying communications with concentration in print journalism at Jacksonville State University. Kara's writing has been featured in Teen Ink magazine and she is a children's author through Big Dif Books; she is also the editor-in-chief of JSU's student newspaper, The Chanticleer.

A. Mitchell  on  2/25/2015 8:00:47 AM commented:

After 10 years attending a private school I have now attended for my 2nd year a home school. Homeschooling was kinda a shock for me, its like Ive been under the warm water now suddenly cold water. It is really good for self-discpline and self-motivation. I would recommend it for sure, too many people are swept with peer-pressure or the ways of this world. Trust in the Lord he will never forsake you or leave you :)

Stephanie S  on  9/11/2012 9:52:01 AM commented:

Thanks so much for writing this article and for telling people homeschooling actually works! Go Homeschool!

Amanda P  on  9/8/2012 12:04:24 PM commented:

That's what I'm talking about!!! Haha, it's so true.

David G  on  9/7/2012 11:31:50 PM commented:

I must agree, that being homeschooled prepared me well for college, and made the transition very easy. The difficult courses that my parents chose for me laid a solid foundation, both academically, and Biblically. This has helped me to be successful while pursuing a difficult major at a university with high academic standards. Thank you Mom and Dad!

The U.S. Department of Education will offer a contract to a single loan servicer to manage its $1.2 trillion student loan portfolio, which contains over 43 million borrowers. Instead of keeping its current contract with four different services, the ED will award Navient, GreatNet or the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) the contract. What exactly does this mean for borrowers?

Department of Education Seeking Single Loan Servicer

May 23, 2017 10:23 AM
by Susan Dutca
Roughly half of foster youth graduate high school or receive a high school equivalency diploma by age 19, and less than four percent of foster children earn a bachelor's degree. Getting into college and paying for it is already difficult, so how do foster youth in higher education overcome seemingly impossible obstacles?

Finding Foster Youth College Scholarships on the Web

May 8, 2017 4:27 PM
by Susan Dutca

May 1st is National College Decision Day! There are so many colleges from which to choose and a lot of students are applying to several schools, some even more than a dozen. Naturally, the cost of college will be a major deciding factor for many of you and continuing to find outside scholarships could be very helpful to most. Students are wary of taking out too many student loans and possibly even forego a more prestigious school in favor for a less expensive college if they fear they won't able to afford the tuition without taking on enormous student debt. One way to avoid doing this and help make college affordable is by applying to free college scholarships. There's no reason you shouldn’t be able to attend your dream college - you still have time to pocket some free college scholarship money before heading off to college!

National Decision Day 2017 College Scholarships

May 1, 2017 4:13 PM
by Susan Dutca

Being a college student can be daunting, period. With the surplus in coursework, responsibilities and stressing over college debt and expenses, college students are high-anxiety all year round...not just around finals time. On top of that, some student-parents must manage going to, and paying for college while raising and paying for their children. Fortunately, there are great financial aid resources and college scholarships reserved for students who have families; including students with dependent children, single mom scholarships, and single dad scholarships! With Mother's Day right around the corner, indulge in these exclusive free college scholarships- for your accomplishments as a student and mom.

College Scholarships for Moms

April 21, 2017 4:06 PM
by Susan Dutca
New York's free college scholarship program is being met with heavy criticism as more details have emerged and it is set to start in fall of 2017. Though lauded for being the first of its kind to offer free college tuition at public colleges and universities, many European countries already offer free college, regardless of family income level...and at the tax payers' expense.

New York Free College Scholarship Program Not So "Free"?

April 18, 2017 11:23 AM