Thanksgiving break, for many college students, is the first real trip home since the start of the fall semester. And after months of Ramen and cold pizza, a Thanksgiving feast may just be what the doctor ordered. But rather than just be on the receiving end of the delicious grub, we have a few simple suggestions on what you can bring to the table without breaking the bank:
- Cranberry sauce. It doesn’t get any easier than this: Grab a can, mush it up and put in a decorative bowl or, if that’s more “cooking” than you initially planned on, visit your local deli for a more homemade version.
- Bread. A fresh loaf of bread or dinner rolls are a great addition to any Thanksgiving table. To kick it up a notch, consider bringing along a special kind of butter such as almond, apple or pumpkin.
- Veggies. You can’t go wrong with a veggie platter. While guests are anxiously waiting for dinner, they can munch on these healthy snacks. Most grocery stores offer premade veggie trays in the produce section, fancy platter and all.
- Dessert. End a meal the right way, with a delectable dessert. Depending on how adventurous you’re feeling, try out a simple recipe or check out your local bakery. Make sure you purchase your dessert early to beat the rush and to keep it festive, order pumpkin pie or soft gingersnaps.
- Coffee. Sure, the hostess probably has a cabinet stocked with coffee, but bringing along a blend specific to Thanksgiving flavors is a great way to add to the meal as a whole. Steer clear of Dunkin’ Donuts and Starbucks and visit a local café to find that perfect Thanksgiving blend.
Getting more college financial aid doesn’t have to be a relentless search. Scholarships.com is totally free. Connect with our massive database of millions of college scholarships at any time by searching for awards in a variety of ways. Scholarships.com offers the quickest and easiest way to search for, apply to, and win college scholarships. Start making your college education affordable or perhaps even free, by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.