Colleges Respond to Poll Showing 20 Percent of Female Students Sexually Assaulted

July 6, 2015
by Chris Bernardi
Students attending colleges and universities across the United States in 2015 can look forward to new U.S. regulations aimed to protect them against a rising rate of sexual assaults on campus.  In attempt to increase responsibility for ending sexual assaults on campus, American colleges and universities will have to follow stricter reporting requirements for sexual assault allegations.  In addition, they must provide clear options to those who report an incident of suspected abuse and provide prevention training for students and college employees.

Students attending colleges and universities across the United States in 2015 can look forward to new U.S. regulations aimed to protect them against a rising rate of sexual assaults on campus. In attempt to increase responsibility for ending sexual assaults on campus, American colleges and universities will have to follow stricter reporting requirements for sexual assault allegations. In addition, they must provide clear options to those who report an incident of suspected abuse and provide prevention training for students and college employees.

The measures, provisions of the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013, went into effect July 1st. The new regulations were fueled by several studies and polls showing a drastic spike in sexual assault rates across American college campuses. In a poll that was released last month by the Washington Post and The Kaiser Family Foundation, results showed 20 percent of female and five percent of male college students had been victims of sexual assault on U.S. college campuses during the past four years. The poll surveyed over 1,000 people that either attended or lived on or near a campus and more than 500 colleges across the country.

Tracy Sefl, a board member of the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network, the largest anti-sexual violence organization in America believes “increased awareness has led to increased recognition of the problem.”

By increasing awareness, advocates of the new regulations hope to flip the script on the astonishing findings that only 12 percent of sexual assault victims report the attacks to their college or local police. Dana Bolger, co-founder of Know Your IX, explains the dilemma a victim faces. “We know that most victims were assaulted by a friend or partner, and there can be a lot of confusion and doubt that comes along with that experience, and hesitation to report [someone] you know or love.”

Do you feel the negative stigma attached to sexual assault victims should bear enough weight to deter them from reporting the crime? Would you feel comfortable reporting a friend or loved one to the university or police? Why or why not?

Get instantly matched to scholarships that meet your skillset, strengths and unique talents. Our search algorithms match you to scholarships that fit your profile. Access a complete list of college scholarships now by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.

Stacy V.  on  7/21/2015 12:06:50 AM commented:

I would like to say I am personally a victim of sexual assault & rape. I don't like the word victim, I believe I am a VICTOR as well as anyone else who withstands continuing to live with this traumatic experience. Sadly, sexual assaults occur anywhere, at anytime, with anyone. It's vital to speak up if this happens to you. There's nothing to be ashamed of, It's not your fault but the person who sexual assaulted you. I tended to blame myself for "putting myself in that situation" or so I thought. But you can get yourself out of this hole, tell a loved one.... tell a friend. PLEASE. I thought It'd turnout a mess, people would judge & look at me differently. But again, It's not your fault. Be victorious. Stay strong beautiful souls.

p.c komathi  on  7/11/2015 9:32:51 PM commented:

I am ex army daughter....i am.studying colloge in b.sc maths mmes womens arts and science pls give the sclorship

xafso  on  7/10/2015 4:00:51 PM commented:

Helps me

Graysha R.  on  7/9/2015 12:27:34 PM commented:

More and more people are victimized towards sexual assult every week. It can happen jus any where , even in your own home. Sad to say but not every one gets the help or isnt being helped unless some one says something or was there during the situation of the sexual assult. I believe those who witnesses or are victims to sexual assult should tell some one, even someone who they can trust because if situations like this arent be told or spoke about , it'll never end it will continue and the percentage of victims will increase even more. Who says the right decisions are ever easy. If i was in this situation of sexual assult, i know it wouldn't be easy for me to get help or tell some one about it but i would do my best to do so, even if i felt weird, uncomfortable, scared or even unsure . The reason why i would tell some one about it even if im just a witness is because i wouldn't want to the situation to continue but also for it doesnt happen to another person . If it took me or any one to say something then number of victims could decrease indicating the sexual assult could be stopped more even stop from happening to the next person. If any one i mean any one who runs into this kind of situation or know someone who did or is in this situation SPEAK UP because it takes one voice to change something.

Madison M  on  7/8/2015 10:04:24 PM commented:

I personally have been a victim of a sexual assault so I know first hand the effects of it. Of course I can not speak for all victims, but I know for me it was humiliating that I had been raped. I was afraid that if I told people they would judge me and label me as "the girl who got raped" instead of seeing me for the kind of person I am. I was also afraid that people would blame me for putting myself in that situation. It is hard to tell family and close friends, much less the police. It was over a year of carrying that burden around with me and letting it haunt me before I finally spoke up. My family made me report it to the authorities and after another year of court hearings and meetings, my perpetrator was let go. He got off free for holding me against my will and traumatizing me in ways that no one will understand unless they have experienced it. I believe that our society does not take sexual assault as seriously as it should, and I believe it's about time for people to start standing up for the many victims of this crime.

College is a big commitment and burnout is easy if you don’t pace yourself. That said, taking a semester off is a normal thing to do while pursuing your degree. Whether you need a quick break for personal reasons or exciting opportunities, like a once-in-a-lifetime trip or work experience, here’s what you need to know about your scholarship money before taking time off.

Will Taking a Semester Off Hurt My Scholarship Money?

August 5, 2022
by Ashley Eneriz
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid — more commonly known as FAFSA is the key to funding your college education. Not only can the FAFSA connect you to grants, scholarships, and work-study opportunities, but filling out the form is
also the first step to applying for federal student loans. Even though filling out the FAFSA is simple and straightforward, several misconceptions still fly around it. Here are the top FAFSA myths you need to stop believing.

FAFSA Myths You Need to Stop Falling For

July 26, 2022
by Ashley Eneriz
Everyone wants to win a full-ride scholarship and enter their freshman year without financial stress. However, the reality is that you have a greater chance of winning smaller scholarships to aid your degree goals. Get a head start on your scholarship game this summer, so that you can head into your senior year closer to funding your college goals.

5 Ways to Increase Your Chances of Winning a Scholarship

June 28, 2022 11:32 AM
by Ashley Eneriz
The new semester is just around the corner, which means it is time to start thinking about how you are going to afford the new school session. Student loans can be taken out any time of the year and are useful for paying for textbooks, special classes or summer terms and additional living expenses. Choosing the right student loan can help you reach your education and career goals while still keeping your finances balanced. Here’s what to look for before you take out a student loan this summer.

Which Student Loan Is Best for Me?

June 13, 2022
by Ashley Eneriz
As we celebrate Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, we reflect on the enormous contributions of Asian Americans and share their culturally rich history. Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders make up the fastest-growing racial group in the United States, with more than 23 million it total. However, API individuals, communities, and businesses have been disproportionately impacted by discrimination and criminal acts that have only been exacerbated by the pandemic in recent years. Now more than ever, we need to stand united as Americans against anti-Asian racism.

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month 2022 Scholarships

May 25, 2022
by Liz Montenegro
The   Voyager Scholarship was implemented by the Obamas in partnership with Brian Chesky, Co-founder and CEO of Airbnb, who donated $100 million to this program. The mission of this scholarship is to help students pursue careers in public service and solve some of our world’s greatest challenges. The Voyager Scholarship provides students access to education and travel opportunities to help expand their horizons and bring about significant change. During this scholarship’s first year, and it is estimated that 100 college juniors will receive up to $50,000 to cover tution and educational expenses, plus up to $30,000 in international travel stipends and credits. Recipients have the option to renew as seniors.

The Obama-Chesky Voyager Scholarship for Public Service

May 18, 2022
by Liz Montenegro
The Voyager Scholarship was implemented by the Obamas in partnership with Brian Chesky, Co-founder and CEO of Airbnb, who donated $100 million to this program. The mission of this scholarship is to
Summer is a great time to experience new things outside of the hectic school year routine. For students who want to beef up their resume, make some money, and have a little fun along the way, working a summer job is a great option! A part-time job gives you the unique opportunity to gain real-world experience and begin forging your own career path. You’ll also get the chance to become a better communicator by working with a wide range of customers and co-workers from all walks of life. Explore which types of work environments you might enjoy with these top 4 summer jobs (and related scholarships)!

Top 4 Summer Jobs For High School Students

May 13, 2022
by Liz Montenegro
Applications are currently open for the Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) Corporation Foundation’s  Better Together STEM Scholarship! Ranging from $2,500 to $10,000, the program is available to students who are pursuing STEM-related careers at universities in California and Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) in the U.S. Eligible applicants include graduating high school seniors, college students, veterans, nontraditional students, and adults returning to school and plan to enroll in a full-time undergraduate program at an accredited four-year college or university. Don’t delay, applications close on June 3, 2022 at 3:00 PM CT.

PG&E Better Together STEM Scholarship

May 11, 2022
by Liz Montenegro
Applications are currently open for the Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) Corporation Foundation’s Better Together STEM Scholarship! Ranging from $2,500 to $10,000, the program is available to students