Facebook is returning to its roots with the launch of Facebook Campus, a college-only space designed to help students connect with fellow classmates over shared interests, according to the press release. The social media giant, which had originally started its life as a networking site for college students, is now refocusing its efforts on connecting students, particularly in the wake of COVID, even if they are away from college. Here's what you can expect from the new Facebook Campus platform if you are a college student:
- Facebook Campus is a dedicated section of the Facebook app specifically designed for college students and is separate from the main Facebook profile.
- You need a college email and graduation year to create a Facebook Campus profile.
- Personal information such as academic major(s) and minor(s), classes, and location are optional.
- Campus-only News Feed gives you updates from classmates, groups and events. You can participate in study groups, plan and attend virtual concerns or ask for advice.
- An opt-in Campus Directory will enable you to connect with and find people. Search your classmates by class, major, year and more.
- Campus Chats are real-time chat rooms for dorm mates, club mates or other campus groups.
The new Facebook Campus is currently being piloted at 30 universities around the U.S., and is siloed so that only people who attend the same school can interact with one another. This isn't the only higher education-based initiative in which Facebook has participated. Did you know that Facebook donated $5 million to support college scholarships for Dreamers and undocumented students, as well as $120 million towards technology scholarships at select schools? To see if you qualify for Facebook-supported scholarship opportunities and more, create a free profile today and conduct a college scholarship search.
College is expensive, Scholarships.com is completely free. Pay for your college education with as much free college scholarship money as possible. By applying to all the awards you qualify for, you can be sure to not miss a single opportunity in paying for your college expenses - including tuition, fees, room and board. Get matched to college scholarships instantly and start applying today by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.