Student Debt Forgiveness Programs Skyrocket

May 6, 2014
by Suada Kolovic
Unless you plan on paying for your college education out-of-pocket, completing the FAFSA and applying for scholarships are essential in your quest for financial aid. But have you considered federal programs that forgive student loan debt almost entirely? It’s an increasingly popular option: According to reports, government officials are trying to rein in federal programs that forgive some student debt, amid rising concerns over the plans’ costs and the possibility they could encourage colleges to push tuition even higher.

The fastest-growing plan requires borrowers to pay 10 percent a year of their discretionary income in monthly installments. The unpaid balances for those working in the public sector or for nonprofits are forgiven after 10 years while those private-sector workers see their debt wiped clear after 20 years. And while there is currently no limit on such debt, the Obama administration has proposed to cap the amount eligible for forgiveness at $57,500 per student. The cost? A report last week from the Brookings Institution estimated that the plan could cost taxpayers $14 billion a year! “Loan forgiveness creates incentives for students to borrow too much to attend college, potentially contributing to rising college prices for everyone,” the study said. The authors went on to recommend the forgiveness provisions to be scrapped entirely. (For more on this story, click here.)

Share your thoughts on federal student debt forgiveness programs in the comments and check out our financial aid section for more information on how to fund your college education.

Getting more college financial aid doesn’t have to be a relentless search. Scholarships.com is totally free. Connect with our massive database of millions of college scholarships at any time by searching for awards in a variety of ways. Scholarships.com offers the quickest and easiest way to search for, apply to, and win college scholarships. Start making your college education affordable or perhaps even free, by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.

Michelle S  on  5/9/2014 1:01:17 PM commented:

I think this is a great idea and they should stick with it. I had to go back to school because I was stuck to much experience not enough schooling to move up. I am a single parent and working barely keeps up with the bills. Let alone my student loans. At some point I'm sure I'll be able to pay some of it back but honestly if I am obligated to pay all of it I will be in the same boat I'm in now. Barely keeping my head above water. Some people need help most students are single parents or parents struggling to make ends meet. Just trying to get a education and get into a career and support themselves. And technically in the end if it gets paid for by taxes them we are helping pay it as well... And Lynette I will pray for you the best of luck in your journey and for your children...

on  5/7/2014 7:27:02 PM commented:

Are we selling our son short by sending him to a college we can afford (Public University)? We can borrow and send him to his first choice then reneg on our obligation??? We know life is unfair but this is Nuts.!!

Kiana L  on  5/7/2014 8:56:39 AM commented:

Students that have abundant amounts of debt clearly did not count the cost before borrowing the loans. This program gives hope for the students that were not trained and taught adequately by those leading the way for them in the financial transition from high school to college.

Lynnette W  on  5/6/2014 5:20:20 PM commented:

I am hoping that someone will pass the law on the student loan, because there is a cap on how much you can borrower. Going to a 4 years college coast around $60.000 to $70.000, like myself I am to the limit on borrower from Strafford loan. My graduation date and year was for 09/5/2014 This is not going to happen, because I have no way on how to pay for the rest of my class. Students like me needs help on paying for our schooling. I know that anyone who is reading this will saying, " What about getting a job" I do not mind working, that why I am in school, however I have 2 disable kids that live with me, one 17, and the other 10. Both need me around the house now. when my oldest turn 18, that will take a lots off of me, because he need help the most, my 10 years old need me as well, however, I can still work in the morning. So don't be little me, just pray for me. Just because I don't have any money today, to pay for my school, my life can and will change in the blink of your eye, for the better, because I am God child and he do look out for his children.

Enjoy a seasonal treat this season with fall scholarships from Scholarships.com to help pay your college tuition bill. Harvest some of the largest dollar scholarships, most prestigious scholarships, and brand name scholarships out there with our list of October scholarships. These autumn scholarships are so good you'll scream! So hurry and apply for these scholarships due in October and don't let them fall by the wayside. For a complete list of scholarships due in October, click here.

Harvest Fall Scholarships for College

September 7, 2017 3:42 PM
by Susan Dutca
If you're pursuing or thinking of pursuing a career in coding, you may be one of the 75,000 aspiring developers to land an Android Scholarship or Web Development Schoalrship, sponsored by Google and Udacity. Google and Udacity have been partnered over the past two years and doled 1,000 and 10,000 scholarships for coders in 2015 and 2016, respectively.

Google, Udacity Offer 75,000 Scholarships for Coders

September 5, 2017 1:14 PM
by Susan Dutca
San Diego State University plans to offer a course titled Black Lives Matter: A Focus on Black Boys and Men in Education, which will be open to the public for enrollment this coming October. The course, which will cover topics of how black men are undervalued in the classroom, is under fire for featuring “speakers whose members have been accused of inciting violence.

Black Lives Matter College Course Faces Criticism

August 30, 2017 8:32 AM
by Susan Dutca
San Diego State University plans to offer a course titled "Black Lives Matter: A Focus on Black Boys and Men in Education," which will be open to the public for enrollment this coming October. The
More and more colleges are introducing free college scholarship programs, with more than 20 states currently on board. The latest states to join the free community-college program initiative are Arkansas, Indiana, Montana and Rhode Island. Some critics claim that, while the idea sounds great, free college may not actually help those who need it most.

Free College Introduced in 4 More States

August 23, 2017 9:15 AM
by Susan Dutca
The looming 1.4 billion student debt haunts not only college students and graduates, but blue-collar students as well. Dozens of truck drivers recount the industry's hopeful advertisement and how they are left in debt with thousands of dollars in training fees and poor job prospects.

Blue-Collar Students Trucking Through Student Debt

August 15, 2017 2:24 PM
by Susan Dutca

Just because you're already in college - even halfway through or in your final year - doesn't mean you couldn't use more financial aid to help pay your college tuition bill. Scholarships for college students are everywhere, including undergraduate scholarships and scholarships for grad students. In fact, many of the prestigious scholarships and large dollar scholarships out there are offered to college students. We understand college students' hectic schedules and having to balance academics, athletics, and extracurricular, so we've put together a wholesome list of scholarships for college students to make things easier for you. Don't forget to check out even more scholarships for undergraduate students and graduate scholarships by conducting a college scholarship search:

Find Scholarships for College Students

August 9, 2017 2:17 PM
by Scholarships.com Staff
$7.3 million will be spent to create or expand free college education programs in New York prisons. Among the seven colleges who will offer the College-in-Prison Reentry Program at 17 state correctional facilities over the next five years is Cornell University.

NY to Spend $7.3M on College-in-Prison Program

August 8, 2017 9:56 AM
by Susan Dutca

School is starting again soon. For some, that may bring a sense of dread - back to early morning alarms, late night homework, and for others, having to start college applications or finding ways to pay upcoming tuition bills. If searching for and applying to scholarships wasn't on your summer bucket list and you're now scrambling to find last-minute college scholarships, don't worry. We took it upon ourselves to create a Back to School Scholarship list. Whether you're a high school student, incoming college freshman or returning college student, get financially ready for a new school year with these back to school scholarships:

Back to School Scholarships 2017