Head vs. Heart: Which Should You Follow When Choosing a College?

June 22, 2015
by Ashley Grego
Choosing my school wasn't a heart-driven decision. My heart eyed up Pitt Main and the possibilities of finally living in the city I've loved my entire childhood. I so badly wanted to go there; however, it was illogical in more than one way: My hometown actually is Johnstown - where one of Pitt's branch campuses is located - and not only does Pitt-Johnstown supply me with the identical diploma as a Pitt Main student, it also saves me roughly $10,000 a year because I commute. Putting aside my dream of life in the city was difficult, but I knew going to Pitt-Johnstown made more sense.

Once starting at Pitt-Johnstown (UPJ, as we call it), selecting my major was more heart-driven. Even though I got high honors in high school, I knew the science world wasn't in my direct future, maybe unless I wrote about it and talked about it - two things I am very confident in and enjoy doing - which led me to the journalism major. I realized early on, however, that it wasn't my exact fit; I wanted to explore other forms of writing and speaking instead so I became a double major in communication and writing. I now plan to do something within the sports industry or get my master's degree from Carnegie Mellon...I hope! Outside of school, I run a sports blog, work, am a NAHL ice girl and play D2 college club hockey at a nearby university. I also intern at my school's sports center and love shopping.

The reason I was interested in this internship is because of my own personal goals and the company itself. I am constantly looking to build my resume and found this as an amazing opportunity. I know that the real career world is a competitive market and I want to have the experience to stand myself out. Looking forward, I look to blogging about anything that comes to mind, from my own experiences to addressing bigger issues in higher education.

Getting more college financial aid doesn’t have to be a relentless search. Scholarships.com is totally free. Connect with our massive database of millions of college scholarships at any time by searching for awards in a variety of ways. Scholarships.com offers the quickest and easiest way to search for, apply to, and win college scholarships. Start making your college education affordable or perhaps even free, by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.

shalease S  on  6/23/2015 6:21:27 PM commented:

Always follow what's in your hand and your heart will follow your mind .

Jennifer Sweet L.  on  6/23/2015 2:27:51 PM commented:

I would go to the more affordable college especially if I could take the classes I want, then maybe I could transfer. However, you may find this school is a better fit for you.

Across the country, both private and public institutions of higher education have announced that they will be test-optional for students applying to enter school in the fall of 2021. This policy, instituted as a response to coronavirus cancellations of standardized testing dates, comes with the caveat that it would only exist during next year’s round of admissions. But the University of California system has gone in an entirely different direction by announcing that will no longer require the SAT or ACT for all California state applicants.

University of California Seeks New Standardized Test

May 27, 2020 11:42 AM
by Izzy Hall
Time to break out the white pants, beach chairs and barbeque sauce! It’s Memorial Day weekend and we’re excited for the (unofficial) start of summer. But there’s still almost a week left of May, and plenty of scholarships to consider before we jump into June. So, enjoy your three-day weekend – and set aside some time to apply to these scholarships.

Wrap up May with these Memorial Day Scholarships

May 22, 2020 10:38 AM
by Izzy Hall
  As much uncertainty looms around the future of college openings and instruction, one thing is certain: The college landscape won't quickly and easily return to what it was pre-COVID-19...at least for a while. Here's a glimpse as to what college may look like in the near future and what students are hoping to experience in their upcoming semesters.

What Will College Look Like Come Fall Semester 2020?

May 21, 2020 3:18 PM
Do you like Scholarships.com? Of course! Between our huge database of scholarships, college search tools, and student resources, what’s not to like? Just as much as you appreciate Scholarships.com, we appreciate you – and we’re bringing back the “Tell A Friend” scholarship sweepstakes just for you!

The “Tell A Friend” Scholarship Sweepstakes is Back!

May 15, 2020 8:55 AM
by Izzy Hall
Some 3.4 million students have registered to take the AP Exams this year, which began on Monday, but they’re not taking the typical pencil-and-Scantron tests. Instead, students this year will be taking an abridged version of the AP Exams online. The traditional marathon-like tests have become free response exams that will last for just 45 minutes. This change, among many others, has garnered lukewarm reception even before testing began. Will these altered AP Exams carry the same weight as normal tests? And how will students perform on them, given all that has happened since the last time their AP courses convened in the classroom?

Online AP Testing Starts This Week

May 12, 2020 9:45 AM
by Izzy Hall
Graduation is right around the corner for the class of 2020, and given the copious amount of event cancellations, many students won't have the traditional ceremonial experiences they've been looking forward to the past four years. Times may be changing, but the graduation festivities can still go on in extraordinary ways - don't forget you can always plan for an official, in-person party at a later time, when things calm down. For now, here are unique ideas for throwing your upcoming quarantine 2020 graduation party.

Quarantine Graduation Party Ideas 2020

May 8, 2020 1:27 PM
One of the biggest milestones that students look forward to throughout their educational career is the high school or college commencement. Donned in their cap and gown, students have proudly walked across a stage in front of their peers, educators and families, to receive their diploma or degree in-hand, perhaps followed up by a hug or handshake from their educators, as a sign of congratulations and respect for all of their hard work over the course of many years.

Graduation Ceremonies 2020: Quarantine-Style

May 7, 2020 11:33 AM
Goodbye April showers, hello May flowers! Get into the seasonal spirit with these scholarships that have extended deadlines into May and early June. Now’s your (second) chance to apply for these scholarships and earn awards for higher education.

Leap into May with these Extended Deadline Scholarships