‘Just Do It’ CEO Does It, Donates $400 Million for Scholarships

February 25, 2016
What do you get when you combine Nike Co-Founder and Stanford alumni Phillip Knight with one of the world's most prestigious universities? A big name school with an additional $400 million donated graduate scholarships. As a gift to Stanford University on his 78th birthday, the endowment is intended to attract some of the world's brightest graduate and professional students looking to solve major global challenges.

The Knight-Hennessey Scholars Program is one of the largest scholarships to have ever been donated from an individual university. Stanford also claims that the program represented the "largest single increase in student financial aid in Stanford's history," and it will provide aid for a minimum of three years of graduate-level study, with 100 scholars admitted annually. The Stanford Daily reports that it "will be analogous to the Rhodes and Shwarzman scholarships." According to the press release, scholars will be nominated by their universities based on high academic achievement, leadership, and civic commitment. Nominees will be from a wide range of backgrounds and nationalities.

John Hennessey, Stanford's President of 16 years who is stepping down this year to run the new scholars program, claims that the program "will be the largest graduate scholarship program focused on all disciplines at any university in the world." The graduate and professional schools in which it will enroll scholars are law, business, medicine, engineering, humanities and sciences, education, Earth, energy, and environmental sciences. There is also an option for extended funding for scholars pursuing PhD or MD degrees. Leadership training and development, residential experiences, immersive educational opportunities, and additional degree opportunities focused on public policy and problem-solving will be incorporated into the program. More than 80% of the endowment will cover students' living expenses and education.

While the generous endowment would help educate some of the world's prospective leaders, some criticize the "megagifts" given to prestigious universities, claiming that "they are more about prestige and ego than academic excellence," as reported by Alessandra Stanley of the New York Times. Could this really just be an "arms race between the top schools with no connection to reality," as stated by New York writer and author Malcolm Gladwell?

Knight has supported Stanford since 2006, when he contributed a large gift to Stanford’s Graduate School of Business. The Knight-Hennessey Scholars Program is actually Knight's second largest donation to a college or university, the largest being a 2013 donation of $500 million to the University of Oregon in which he challenged the university to raise $500M by offering to match the amount. Stanford will start accepting applications beginning in the summer of 2017 and admit its first brigade of scholars for fall of 2018. Knight and Hennessey "dream of a future 20, 30, or 50 years from now, when thousands of graduates - who can think outside the box as skilled problem-solvers - will be working together for a more peaceful, habitable world."

Would you apply for the scholarship program? Keep an eye out for more information to come on the scholarship and in meantime, see what other scholarship opportunities you are eligible for.

College is expensive. Scholarships.com has done the work for you. Pay for your college education with free college scholarship money. Get matched to college scholarships instantly and start applying today by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.

Victoria E. Hardy  on  3/30/2016 9:33:15 AM commented:

I am ready to face my new challenges of college life and extremely excited to become a successful neonatal nurse. I hope to have the courage and strength for the skills and knowledge to become part of a team that helps make miracles happen everyday... to hear true laughter and see a glance of a smile of an honest infant is a true sign of a brighter tomorrow.

Jamarcus Dickerson  on  3/9/2016 11:12:21 AM commented:

Hello, Its very hard being a African american male being judge bye my skin tone but I am happy and blessed and I am the only one in the dickerson family to graduate high school or just come to jouiner in high school I have all A's but I lacked around my other years but still had A's and B's....

Bishnu M  on  3/4/2016 10:20:01 AM commented:

I'm glad that they're giving scholarship to student who wants to do something in life..

I am a single mother of two, one girl 25 and a boy  on  3/2/2016 8:49:28 PM commented:

Im also raising 2 grand children 3 and 1 they are my world. Im a full time freshman in collage. It's very exspensive even though I also work full time, I still can't keep up with everything. I live in a 40 foot trailer with only electric when it wants to work, nohot water, but I do the best I can and im not complaining I just wish I could get help with collage. I've got 3 years til I fill my dream of being a nurse. If anyone know where I can get scholarships please let me know thank you

June M  on  3/2/2016 10:37:12 AM commented:

I am a single mom that struggled raising three kids alone. Ages 32, 25,and 17. My 17 year old has been accepted at three different universities/ colleges so far. I am in my sophomore year of college myself with student loans piling up. I have maintained a 4.0 GPA and have consistently been on the Presidents List. Unfortunately I feel like I may have to make a decision between my daughter's education and my own because I can not afford both. I am about to complete my AA degree in Business Management this summer. But I rather give my daughter the opportunity to receive her degree at a young age and come back to mines once she is finish. So I plan to withdraw after I graduate from the AA program. I know what I have to do but it not what want to do. I have search for scholarships and more grant money since I have been in school with no success. Can anyone advise me of some where that can assist? Thanks!

Briyanna L  on  3/1/2016 10:48:08 PM commented:

Being an African American woman, and the struggles of abuse,and not having a father figure and just having my mom support me. Then having to support myself my junior and senior year, not getting to go to prom cause of finical issues this scholarship could definitely help me out big time

Laqushia E.  on  3/1/2016 10:21:43 PM commented:

What a wonderful opportunity....Thanks for making this opportunity possible.

Doug  on  3/1/2016 8:46:46 PM commented:

Glad to see the wealthy giving back for good causes

Jimmy Perry  on  3/1/2016 6:12:21 PM commented:

I really need this to help pay for my college costs.

Myla Williams  on  3/1/2016 5:30:02 PM commented:

I really believe that someone like knight will help us in the world. We need more people like him and others to help people in need for money because most parents can not afford to even help pay for there childs college. Maybe if the people who don't have alot of money get this scholarship they will be able to help us in the future because most people who can not afford college are very smart but just don't have the money.

Ivondre W.  on  3/1/2016 9:51:52 AM commented:

I really need this scholarship because my Mom is not able afford my college education. I have maintain a 3.5 to 4.0 my entire school life with the intentions of attending the best school. I will be the first born in my family to attend college.

Dewun G  on  2/25/2016 4:05:05 PM commented:

How do I get funded ?

When asked the question, “Who was your favorite teacher or coach growing up?” For most anyone, an image of that educator’s face immediately pops up in their mind. What was it about that person that made them stand out? Maybe it was the way they encouraged or inspired you as no others had previously done. Perhaps they saw something in you that helped you to gain the confidence to achieve a goal that had once seemed unattainable. The truth is, there are as many answers to this question as there are people in this world. One common denominator unites them: it all started with the foundation of mutual respect and trust this individual established with you.

This Week is American Education Week 2021

November 18, 2021 1:54 PM
by Liz Montenegro
Since the beginning of our nation, Native Americans and Indigenous communities have been a powerful influence on modern U.S. society. Although art, beadwork, music and dancing may first come to mind when you think of Native American contributions to today’s culture, did you know that many of the foods we consider to be staples, such as potatoes, wild rice, beans, corn, and peanuts were first grown and harvested by Native Americans? Not only that, but Native American groups also taught European settlers some of their farming techniques to help them survive and live off of the land, many of those practices are still used today. American Indians were also the inventors of goods we rely on every day, like topical pain relievers, baby bottles, and even rubber products.

In November, We Celebrate Native American Heritage Month

November 12, 2021 4:07 PM
by Liz Montenegro
Are you a high school student looking for opportunities to help others around you and set yourself apart on college applications? With the holiday season in full swing, this is the perfect time to start your search for volunteering opportunities in your area. Along with strengthening ties to your community, serving as a volunteer demonstrates to colleges that you have given your time and energy to help those in need, and that you have applied the knowledge you’ve gained in your studies to real-world settings. Many college applications and scholarships have a minimum number of community service hours that their applicants must complete in order to be eligible. But just because it is a requirement, doesn’t mean it cannot also be a meaningful experience.

Community Service Benefits Everyone

November 8, 2021 3:12 PM
by Liz Montenegro
 With Veteran’s Day quickly approaching, what better way to honor our U.S. military members and their families than to shine a spotlight on the scholarships and grants available to them? Military life often presents unique challenges that can be overwhelming for the entire family. Lengthy deployments and frequent changes of station are just a few obstacles military families face, but their strength and perseverance through these hardships is truly remarkable. As a way to honor their sacrifices, Scholarships.com offers a wide variety of grants and scholarships to help offset the cost of college as they pursue their educational goals.

Scholarships for Military Members and Dependents

October 29, 2021 3:24 PM
by Liz Montenegro
FAFSA is an acronym. It stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Please take note that the first word in the acronym is Free. You do not need to pay to fill out the FAFSA but there are certainly websites out there that will charge you for their assistance. If you are asked for a credit card at any point in the process, you are at one of these sites. If you do not want to pay to complete the FAFSA, be sure to apply at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa. The FAFSA must be completed by you and your family each year if you wish to be considered for need-based grants from the college or university you are or will be attending as well as subsidized student loans.

What is the FAFSA?

October 8, 2021 2:52 PM
by Scholarships.com Staff
FAFSA is an acronym. It stands for "Free Application for Federal Student Aid". Please take note that the first word in the acronym is "Free". You do not need to pay to fill out the FAFSA but there
A study abroad program can be the beginning of the most exciting chapter of your college experience. Often, the travel, housing, credits and even food are included in the price of the program you choose. However, this is no reason not to look for more financial opportunities!

Want to Study Abroad? Find Scholarships

August 31, 2021 12:30 PM
by Scholarships.com Staff
As you get ready for this next big step in your life, this last year at home can feel like the longest and the shortest you ever had! While you prepare to select a college and research scholarships and financial aid, don’t forget to spend some quality time with your friends and family. While movies, even when based on a true story, are always a little bit fantastic, they are also works of art that share experiences among their viewers.

Movie Night! College Classics

August 19, 2021 12:22 PM
by Scholarships.com Staff
While the notion of men and women having naturally different aptitudes and interests is slowly becoming a thing of the past, there remain differences in professional compensation between the sexes. Recent studies are still exploring the way women with the same education and occupation as their male counterparts earn less money. There also remains a tendency for jobs dominated by female workers to pay much lower, in general, than those with a larger male employee base.

Fighting the Wage Gap

August 11, 2021 12:21 PM
by Scholarships.com Staff
While you work hard to ensure your future at the college of your dreams, it may seem like academic programs and credits are the only things going on there. Once you enter your college or university, you will find that it is one big community made up of many smaller ones. Part of your journey will be to find your specific home there. This may entail finding a teacher you love working with, a project with peers that fuels your creativity or your entrance into an entire academic department.

Netflix's New Fictional Show About Higher Ed

August 5, 2021 10:20 AM
by Scholarships.com Staff
A high school senior from Lithia, Florida has just been awarded the $1,000 grand prize in a scholarship competition. The 16-year-old, Laura Gonzalez, is on track to attend college next fall. She hails from Lithia, a suburb of Tampa in central-east Florida and is completing her last year at Newsome Highschool, with a total population of about 3,000 students. Her small school and community are thrilled for her and are all wishing her the best on her upcoming new chapter in life.

Florida Teen Wins Scholarship!

July 29, 2021 12:44 PM