Planning Your Ideal Study Abroad Experience

July 11, 2013
by Anthony Guzmán
Maybe you grew up in a small town where everyone knows everyone and gossip spreads like wildfire. Or maybe you just want to experience something new. Whatever the case is, my advice to you is to see the world through studying abroad! Who am I to tell you what to do? My freshman year of college has been the best year of my life, partly because I studied abroad. For spring break, the Mays Business School sponsored 15 freshmen to travel to Paris; this trip gave me the travel bug so I started the process for my first study abroad trip.

Imagine the study abroad planning process like an upside-down pyramid: At the top you have, “I want to go somewhere!” but as you move down the pyramid, you narrow your search until you are left with the perfect trip for you. To get to that point, you need to answer these questions:

• What kind of study abroad program (faculty lead, transfer credit, reciprocal exchange, internships, etc.) and where?
  • Can I receive academic credit for the courses?
  • What kind of courses will I take? (languages, major related, etc.)
  • For how long? (I recommend during the summer or when your degree plan allows it.)
  • What is your budget (ex. Latin America is cheaper than Europe) and is the financial aid you receive from your school applicable? (I was fortunate enough to have my study abroad experience paid for with scholarships, financial aid, donors and family; if you need additional aid, apply early.)

As you can see, study abroad encompasses many aspects but there are plenty of resources. The first place to begin your search is your school’s study abroad office: Set up an appointment, attend a seminar, review the study abroad website or just swing by and look for flyers for different programs. There is something out there for everyone whether you want to learn a language, teach English, dive deeper into your major or explore a different culture. For example, during May and June, I studied with Sol Education Abroad in Costa Rica, took classes at a local university, lived with a host family (my most cherished part) and went on excursions with a great group of students from different colleges.

Everyone’s study abroad is unique – I did it my freshman year and it helped me get ahead while I had the time of my life! – but it’s on you to make the experience a reality. Bon voyage!

Anthony Guzmán is currently a rising sophomore at Texas A&M University where he studies business management and Spanish. He hopes to use business to create positive change through non-profit organization. He devotes the majority of his time to Catholic ministry and he also enjoys dancing, being with friends and family, and traveling.

Just because there are millions of college scholarships out there doesn’t mean you have time to go searching, and many won’t even match your profile. We’ve done the work and Scholarships.com is totally free. We have the search algorithms and scholarships database, saving you time in searching, finding and applying to thousands of dollars in college scholarships. Get instantly matched to scholarships that meet your unique talents, skillset and strengths, only those you qualify for. Access a complete list of college scholarships now by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.

jueli patel  on  7/7/2015 1:04:37 AM commented:

nice post i like very much i also got some information like this from www.msmbainusa.com

Southern New Hampshire University plans to cut tuition costs by 50% beginning next fall. This deep tuition price cut is a silver lining to the economic pressure the coronavirus pandemic has put on students and their family’s ability to pay for college. SNHU says that making college accessible and affordable to a wider range of students is its primary goal in slashing tuition prices.

College to Offer Half Price Tuition for Fall 2021

January 7, 2021 10:44 AM
by Izzy Hall
January is all about what’s new at Scholarships.com! From our new homepage to our fresh January scholarship offerings, we’re ready to explore all of what 2021 has to offer. Number one on our 2021 list? These fantastic January scholarships! A lot of scholarships open on January 1st and many have January 31st deadlines. Start your new year off right and get cracking on these eight scholarship opportunities before they’re gone!

New Year, New You, New Scholarships

January 5, 2021 1:27 PM
by Izzy Hall
We’re all looking forward to finally putting 2020 behind us on New Year’s Day. Though we could not have guessed what 2020 would bring us just a year ago, we can look towards the future year with a little more hope in our hearts – as well as take a look at some great scholarship opportunities that will come due during the upcoming months! Athletes, animal lovers, artists and writers – there’s a scholarship opportunity here for you to put on your 2021 calendar. Let’s ring in the new year with a list of great scholarships to start applying to today!

Look Ahead: Our 2021 Scholarship Preview

December 29, 2020 3:10 PM
by Izzy Hall
A free scholarship search at Scholarships.com can hook you up with so many options to win free financial aid towards college costs. There are quick and easy scholarships, essay scholarships, and even scholarships based on artistic portfolios and musical performances. When juggling scholarship applications, college apps, and high school classes, students may want to know – which scholarships should they apply for first? Let our guide on how to prioritize scholarship applications help get you organized.

Guide to Prioritizing Scholarship Applications

December 17, 2020 2:23 PM
by Izzy Hall
HBCU Heroes, a non-profit organization dedicated to providing Historically Black College and University (HBCU) students and schools with scholarships and resources, is hosting a charity Esports tournament on Wednesday, December 16th. Rather than a tip-off on a basketball court, pro athletes and gamers will compete on the virtual courts of NBA2K. A planned $50,000 will be awarded in scholarships, prizes and collegiate Esports lab funding to HBCUs.

Charity Raises Money for HBCUs with Esports Tournament

December 15, 2020 11:34 AM
by Izzy Hall
Tonight is the first night of Hanukkah, the eight-day festival of lights celebrated each winter by Jewish families. During Hanukkah, menorahs are lit, latkes are fried, dreidels are spun and chocolate coins are eaten. If you’re celebrating Hanukkah this year, take some time to apply to these eight Jewish scholarships – one for each night! You’ll give yourself a chance to win a “present” of free financial aid for college.

Celebrate Hanukkah with Eight Jewish Scholarships

December 10, 2020 1:48 PM
by Izzy Hall
The coronavirus pandemic has changed our perspective on education. Online education, quarantine dorms and virtual campuses have been broadly implemented in the COVID era. In the midst of this education shakeup, some businesses have begun to offer alternatives to both traditional college and our current pandemic-flavor of education. The U Experience is one such venture that promises a small number of students a mask-free, COVID-free resort campus where they can take online classes.

The College Experience in a “Resort Bubble”?

December 3, 2020 10:41 AM