Prof Looks Like a Lady: Scholar in Drag Adds Some "Show" to His "Tell"

December 1, 2015
Wearing 5-inch heels and an even taller wig, Professor Scudura decided to put it all out there for academic discussion in what one might term a performance lecture.
The Fabulous and Subversive Nature of Drag Performance was more than a lecture and a lot closer to adult show and tell. Rather than offer up more dry discourse on the subject, Domenick Scudera brazenly decided to do something much more dramatic.

Wearing 5-inch heels and an even taller wig, Professor Scudura decided to put it all out there for academic discussion in what one might term a "performance lecture". "The Fabulous and Subversive Nature of Drag Performance" was more than a lecture and a lot closer to adult "show and tell". Rather than offer up more dry discourse on the subject, Domenick Scudera brazenly decided to do something much more dramatic.

To best "subvert the traditional symposium structure,” Dr. Scudera dressed in "five-inch high heels, pantyhose, a tight dress, and a mile-high wig" and topped off the look with makeup and false eyelashes. Drag, according to the professor, is a "distinct form of art that brings into focus issues of identity, authority, agency gender variance, and masculine/feminine constructs.” Though he claims that academia symposia and conferences can be "dry, forced, and sometimes unproductive," Dr. Scudera was still somewhat hesitant, asking himself, "Would I be taken seriously?"

What are the stereotypes for professors and how are they maintained? For Dr. Scudera, wearing "professor clothing" is a form of drag. He questions whether wearing "a suit and tie to teach is any different than wearing a dress and heels?" Though during his presentation he had deliberately "held back any opinions…to remove any perception that they [the students] must agree with me to receive good grades," he believes that the students’ disapproval was "code for 'my professor is gay and I am not comfortable with that.'"

Another point of Dr. Scudera's presentation is that of the "diverse facets of identity" that tend to not mix well in other realms. His drag identity, "Summer Clearance," who can be found performing at a gay club or event, will never mix with his identity as a college professor. And vice versa - he does not "carry back" his drag queen identity to the college. He questions whether the separation of the two identities "negates that part of myself in order to be taken seriously as a professor." What Dr. Scudera realizes however, in his experience as both drag queen and professor, is that he cannot be easily compartmentalized simply because students “slam him in their evaluations." Furthermore, he believes that his "authentic self is much more valuable in reaching more students."

Would you be interested in attending this symposium? Why or why not? Leave us your insightful comments below.

College is expensive. Scholarships.com has done the work for you. Pay for your college education with free college scholarship money. Get matched to college scholarships instantly and start applying today by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.

Tracy S  on  5/9/2020 10:11:31 PM commented:

Drag is not an identity it is a form of entertainment. I would not take a course from a professor who thinks disaproval means the students dont like him bc of his sexual orientation. That is very closed-minded of the prof. Perhaps he likes cross-dressing, that is a fetish and not an identity. Or maybe if drag is part of his "identity" he has some larger issues to resolve and should leave the students out of that.

Michelleine A  on  12/31/2015 10:21:45 PM commented:

I totally agree with what the professor is teaching even we as teenagers practice a form of drag every day. I can personally say I act like a totally different person depending on the people I am with which is exactly what he did he acts differently at school and differently when he is in drag asa child of a college professor I know this to be true

Prudence M  on  12/26/2015 8:08:59 PM commented:

It's like when people do demonstrations of the work in class, it's a performance, art to be showcased and appreciated. The professor was brave enough to allow himself to be both admired and critisized for the sake of giving his students a more lasting impression of the "dry" material they'd been learnin in class.

Cindy S  on  12/8/2015 10:57:22 AM commented:

This would mean a lot to me seeing that I have the potential to work hard in school

Lori C.  on  12/7/2015 4:10:43 PM commented:

Really, some people shouldn't teach. Anyone remember James Tracy, the Florida Atlantic University Professor shouting conspiracy theories that the Sandy Hook Shooting in Newtown, CT. was a hoax? Now we have a professor dressing in drag to teach a class. Our higher educational system is in need of help.

ELOGE NIYOMWUNGERE  on  12/5/2015 3:59:27 PM commented:

what drives me and makes me tick is to get a scholarship and study.

sofia  on  12/4/2015 3:16:06 PM commented:

I would love to attend such a class!!!. What better way there can be to trigger thinking and introspection of our societies stringent mindset in a creative manner. Its easy to talk about "identity" and "freedom" until your own beliefs in these matters are questioned to the core.

Brendan l  on  12/4/2015 12:37:35 PM commented:

Dude, I'm just trying to make a living.

Pat n  on  12/3/2015 11:24:23 AM commented:

Why is this even a topic? No, I pay for an education. Learning the topic being taught. NOT viewpoints being pushed and not discussions on controversial subjects. Leave this type of behavior outside of the classroom, where you can do what you wish and pay any related consequences. Seriously, where has common sense and good judgment gone? Just keep it simple and stick to the basics. It is no wonder our college student's mindsets are so off base!

Catherine F  on  12/2/2015 8:57:24 PM commented:

First off, dressing in drag does not mean one is lesbian or homosexual. Be true to who you are and let the chips fall as they may. I for one would be there to help you up if you are knocked down mentally, verbally or physically. Unless your teaching in the nude it would not distract me personally from your class. I applaud your honesty and I hope you keep on, keeping on!

Alexis M  on  12/2/2015 8:04:46 PM commented:

I think this is a wonderful way to teach a class. it would definitely keep hold of their attention and maybe even help them learn something valuable. It may seem inappropriate to some but I would definitely attend his symposium. If that professor does not judge his students, then why should they judge him!

Megan Kelley  on  12/2/2015 7:45:35 PM commented:

Yes I would be interested, because it would be both interesting and educational for me as an individual who is a part of a society in which drag is becoming less of a taboo, and it is important to comprehend that everyone deserves the right to self expression, and how that can cause stereotyping, so this symposium would allow me to develop a deeper empathy for those who genuinely express themselves through cross-dressing

Amina a  on  12/2/2015 9:30:58 AM commented:

I would attend because my expectations for the lesson they would be bringing to the table would be high.

Dominica R  on  12/2/2015 9:11:11 AM commented:

I would appreciate the professor's attempt to make the symposium creative, and his bravery to dress like that. But I believe that there is an appropriate time do certain things, and dressing in drag to a symposium is not appropriate. The symposium could have the same discussion without the visual. It may be part of his identity, but he is also a college professor. In life we have to manage our identities, and only share parts that are appropriate for the situation.

Ferris B.  on  12/2/2015 8:12:04 AM commented:

I weep for the future.

Racheal H.  on  12/2/2015 5:49:51 AM commented:

I'd personally love to go. This professor is seriously brave.

Julia S  on  12/1/2015 11:34:10 PM commented:

Of course I would attend the symposium! Why should gender even play a role in this? Why would it matter what I think if my professor is gay or not? If my professor can accept me for who I am then why shouldn't I do the same?

Ashley  on  12/1/2015 8:57:45 PM commented:

This is scary

Mary C  on  12/1/2015 8:42:03 PM commented:

yes i would attend. this goes back to the old saying don't judge a book by it's cover. for the person who said they are Christian and doesn't agree with it, I have a question for you. The Ten Commandments state Love thy Neighbor. It doesn't make exceptions.

Elly W.  on  12/1/2015 8:38:41 PM commented:

I absolutely love this and I would definitely attend! It would be something different out of a normal day and could be very interesting to attend.

James C.  on  12/1/2015 8:10:22 PM commented:

Careful now, you are actually bordering on free speech if you disagree with anyone who thinks its OK for a teacher of young minds to flaunt his gender id. Disagreeing with the herd could effect your grade.

Jenna H.  on  12/1/2015 6:51:19 PM commented:

I would gladly attend this symposium because it would provide students with both an intellectual experience while keeping them interested. I personally would find it to be a fun event to be apart of and not a boring lecture that I have to attend. All the more power to Dr. Scudera!

Jenna H.  on  12/1/2015 6:49:30 PM commented:

Ava F.  on  12/1/2015 6:35:00 PM commented:

This is great I am glad that this teacher decided to do this. I would totally be interested in this symposium because if his expression.

Giovanni M.  on  12/1/2015 6:05:16 PM commented:

Off course! Dr. Scudera has found a new way of teaching students, instead of just making them read a couple of paragraphs on a textbook. When it is time to read silently in the classroom, some students may disagree with or not even have an opinion on such a subject, but they keep their thoughts to themselves.This incredibly valient act by the professor would create a more open classroom environment for each student to voice their opinions and truly have a more meaningful class discussion.

Thomas A  on  12/1/2015 5:42:42 PM commented:

I wouldn't go

Denise K  on  12/1/2015 4:39:53 PM commented:

I would be happy to attend... I enjoy diversity in people and love to hear all about them. I agree that dressing in drag could distract from the lesson though. I support everyone's choices, as long as no other living being is being harmed.

Richard M.  on  12/1/2015 4:24:32 PM commented:

whether or not drag queen is agreed upon or not, disallowing the professor to come to school dressed as a drag queen in a professional manner is discrimination regardless. Who is to say that the professor does not think of himself as a female or who is to say that being gay is wrong. As long as the professor was able to dress appropriately to his lecture and not like he would if he went to a club, then it should be fine. No gay or straight man is condemning straight people for the way that they dress so why should anyone condemn the professor?

Joey P  on  12/1/2015 4:14:01 PM commented:

what is happening. This is beyond just a sad cry for attention.

Selorm K  on  12/1/2015 3:54:53 PM commented:

Yes, I would like to attend this symposium for the simply fact that, he's human and my professor for that matter, regardless of personal preferences.

Hope m  on  12/1/2015 3:54:13 PM commented:

In my personal opinion I commend the professor's bravery but I think it would be a distraction from the lesson being taught and limit who would attend

Meekyoung K  on  12/1/2015 3:48:50 PM commented:

I would be interested in attending the symposium because it will give me a chance to re-evaluate the value system I have. It will help me to think out of my box, yet be firm about what I believe.

Marcus W  on  12/1/2015 3:02:59 PM commented:

I feel like everyone can do as they please but I am a Christan me personally I don't agree with it

Tiara T  on  12/1/2015 2:35:38 PM commented:

i would love to attend because while he is a teacher at a college as a professor it is a certain image you should maintain in the work force you cannot dress how you want either you are gay or not u have to be professional at all times u cannot give people two images of you . and i understand that he does have a life outside of his job he can really somewhat be himself but with the social media and internet things tend to spread out even though they shouldnt . so i understand his worries of people not taking him serious because of him being gay although its not right thats how people will look at him as ( just a gay professor) its not bad for people being whom they are if he is comfortable in his own skin and how he is then people should accept that but society tend to say otherwise so i would love to attend to see him true self and not just as a professor

Jeffrey R  on  12/1/2015 2:07:59 PM commented:

yes, I would attend the symposium. This would be a rich discussion. People need to be free to be who they are. Our society needs to get rid of stigmas.

We want to wish all of our Jewish students a Happy Hanukkah! May you enjoy lots of family time and laughter this holiday season. During your final nights of Hanukkah, we hope you get your fill of delicious latkes, dreidel games, gift opening and great memories.

Jewish Student Scholarship Spotlight

December 3, 2021 2:36 PM
by Liz Montenegro
Adam Sandler undoubtedly paved the way in bringing the celebration of Hanukkah to the forefront of pop culture with his wildly famous “Hanukkah” song debut in 1994 on Saturday Night Live (did you know there is now a “Hanukkah” Part 4?). In the song, Sandler draws attention to famous Jews in mainstream culture. You may be wondering which celebrities are observing Hanukkah this year. Before we dive into Hollywood, let’s answer the question of why these “eight CRAZY nights” are celebrated by millions of Jewish people across the globe.

Hanukkah 2021: Celebrities You Didn’t Know Were Jewish

December 2, 2021 3:20 PM
by Liz Montenegro
Starting college is a very exciting time. Dorm life is full of new experiences, and many scholarships are available that can help cover the cost of your room and board. Like everything else, there are pros and cons to living in a college dorm.

College Dorms: Should You Give On-Campus Living a Try?

November 30, 2021 4:02 PM
by Liz Montenegro
When asked the question, “Who was your favorite teacher or coach growing up?” For most anyone, an image of that educator’s face immediately pops up in their mind. What was it about that person that made them stand out? Maybe it was the way they encouraged or inspired you as no others had previously done. Perhaps they saw something in you that helped you to gain the confidence to achieve a goal that had once seemed unattainable. The truth is, there are as many answers to this question as there are people in this world. One common denominator unites them: it all started with the foundation of mutual respect and trust this individual established with you.

This Week is American Education Week 2021

November 18, 2021 1:54 PM
by Liz Montenegro
Since the beginning of our nation, Native Americans and Indigenous communities have been a powerful influence on modern U.S. society. Although art, beadwork, music and dancing may first come to mind when you think of Native American contributions to today’s culture, did you know that many of the foods we consider to be staples, such as potatoes, wild rice, beans, corn, and peanuts were first grown and harvested by Native Americans? Not only that, but Native American groups also taught European settlers some of their farming techniques to help them survive and live off of the land, many of those practices are still used today. American Indians were also the inventors of goods we rely on every day, like topical pain relievers, baby bottles, and even rubber products.

In November, We Celebrate Native American Heritage Month

November 12, 2021 4:07 PM
by Liz Montenegro
Are you a high school student looking for opportunities to help others around you and set yourself apart on college applications? With the holiday season in full swing, this is the perfect time to start your search for volunteering opportunities in your area. Along with strengthening ties to your community, serving as a volunteer demonstrates to colleges that you have given your time and energy to help those in need, and that you have applied the knowledge you’ve gained in your studies to real-world settings. Many college applications and scholarships have a minimum number of community service hours that their applicants must complete in order to be eligible. But just because it is a requirement, doesn’t mean it cannot also be a meaningful experience.

Community Service Benefits Everyone

November 8, 2021 3:12 PM
by Liz Montenegro
 With Veteran’s Day quickly approaching, what better way to honor our U.S. military members and their families than to shine a spotlight on the scholarships and grants available to them? Military life often presents unique challenges that can be overwhelming for the entire family. Lengthy deployments and frequent changes of station are just a few obstacles military families face, but their strength and perseverance through these hardships is truly remarkable. As a way to honor their sacrifices, Scholarships.com offers a wide variety of grants and scholarships to help offset the cost of college as they pursue their educational goals.

Scholarships for Military Members and Dependents

October 29, 2021 3:24 PM
by Liz Montenegro
FAFSA is an acronym. It stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Please take note that the first word in the acronym is Free. You do not need to pay to fill out the FAFSA but there are certainly websites out there that will charge you for their assistance. If you are asked for a credit card at any point in the process, you are at one of these sites. If you do not want to pay to complete the FAFSA, be sure to apply at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa. The FAFSA must be completed by you and your family each year if you wish to be considered for need-based grants from the college or university you are or will be attending as well as subsidized student loans.

What is the FAFSA?

October 8, 2021 2:52 PM
by Scholarships.com Staff
FAFSA is an acronym. It stands for "Free Application for Federal Student Aid". Please take note that the first word in the acronym is "Free". You do not need to pay to fill out the FAFSA but there
A study abroad program can be the beginning of the most exciting chapter of your college experience. Often, the travel, housing, credits and even food are included in the price of the program you choose. However, this is no reason not to look for more financial opportunities!

Want to Study Abroad? Find Scholarships

August 31, 2021 12:30 PM
by Scholarships.com Staff
As you get ready for this next big step in your life, this last year at home can feel like the longest and the shortest you ever had! While you prepare to select a college and research scholarships and financial aid, don’t forget to spend some quality time with your friends and family. While movies, even when based on a true story, are always a little bit fantastic, they are also works of art that share experiences among their viewers.

Movie Night! College Classics