College Avenue Student Loans Edvisors Private Student Loans

Student Suicide Facts and Prevention

June 7, 2012
by Lisa Lowdermilk
It was with great sadness that I read about the suicide of Wendy Chang, a college student at Harvard University...even more so when I learned that four other Boston students have already committed suicide this year.

Even though I never met any of the students personally, I feel that every suicide is a tragedy, especially when I think about how this topic, as well as depression, are still viewed as taboo . While I can understand why some people prefer to avoid talking about death, depression and suicide, I also think that we need to realize that we don't understand what a depressed person is going through unless we do talk about such issues. People contemplating suicide will almost always reach out to someone first and it is our duty to help them.

So if another student comes to you expressing a desire to commit suicide, don't immediately judge him or her. Chances are, he or she is well aware of the stigmatism attached to suicide and is reluctant to admit being suicidal in the first place. Instead, listen, thank the individual for being courageous enough to confide in you and help him or her find help for people contemplating suicide. Virtually every college has resources specifically designed to help students cope with the many stressors of college and life in general. And should you or someone you know confide in the individuals in charge of these services, you can do so knowing that they will keep your circumstances private.

My condolences go out to Wendy's family, as well as to all the families who have ever lost a relative to suicide. Their loved ones will not be forgotten.

Lisa Lowdermilk is a published poet, avid video gamer and artist. Her poems have appeared in Celebrate Young Poets: West (Fall 2006) edition and Widener University's The Blue Route. She enjoys watching thrillers, trying different restaurants and attempting to breakdance. Lisa is now majoring in professional writing at the University of Colorado Denver.

Getting more college financial aid doesn’t have to be a relentless search. Scholarships.com is totally free. Connect with our massive database of millions of college scholarships at any time by searching for awards in a variety of ways. Scholarships.com offers the quickest and easiest way to search for, apply to, and win college scholarships. Start making your college education affordable or perhaps even free, by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.

Lisa L.  on  1/1/2016 7:43:21 PM commented:

Hi Bailey, Sorry I'm just now responding to your comment; I actually just saw it by accident today. First off, thank you so much for responding to my article and having the courage to talk about your experience. I'm so, so sorry to hear your best friend committed suicide; I can only imagine what you must still be going through. I too want to help others who deal with depression and anxiety. Currently, I'm learning about muscle testing, as well as something called "The Body Code," with the intent of helping others. If you would like to talk more about these topics or anything in general, feel free to email me at oasis1893481@hotmail.com. Take care, my friend!

Bailey A  on  11/21/2015 5:54:21 PM commented:

I was diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety about three years ago. I was having thoughts of suicide and I was also cutting. My best friend helped me out of the hole I was in. Then, last year, September 22nd, 2014, that same best friend committed suicide. Because of that experience, I want to be able to help others who have gone through these same things.

The college dining hall – a place for food, friends and well-earned breaks. It’s known for a wide array of food bars, buffets, made-to-order stations and generous ice cream offerings. But for the Fall 2020 semester, the dining experience will undergo a reinvention to serve food safely amidst the novel coronavirus. What will the dining halls of the COVID-19 era look like?

New Menus for College Dining in Fall 2020

June 30, 2020 10:56 AM
by Izzy Hall
If you're worried about how you will pay for college during the COVID-19 pandemic, you're not alone. Students and families are concerned about the college financial ramifications as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, and higher education institutions are anticipating an increase in students' financial aid need, as well as a large number of college financial aid appeals. Fortunately, there are ample options and resources to help you pay for college these coming semesters. Explore the various options to find out which works best for your situation - from scholarship deadline extensions to relief provided through the CARES Act and more.

Paying for College during Coronavirus

June 26, 2020 3:48 PM
On June 1st, Kansas State began bringing back student athletes to start football pre-season training with voluntary workouts. By June 20th, with 13 students testing positive for coronavirus, they shut their workout program down. What happened to the Kansas State athletes wasn’t unique – as schools, hoping to bring back the moneymaker that is college football, are discovering. And it provides an early look at what schools could be facing if they plan to re-open their campuses come the fall.

College Football Pre-Season Gets off on Wrong Foot

June 25, 2020 3:14 PM
by Izzy Hall
Students want to go to campus this fall. Schools would like to have them there. But campus won’t be the same as it always has. In order to prevent the spread of coronavirus, colleges and universities are instituting new policies and discussing new living arrangements for their incoming students. Beyond social distancing, face masks and hand sanitizer, here are changes colleges are considering for students living on campus.

What Will Living on Campus Look Like This Fall?

June 16, 2020 10:51 AM
by Izzy Hall
Are you dealing with student debt? You’re not alone. The amount of student debt that Americans owe is a staggeringly-high $1.7 trillion dollars and growing. Almost 70% of graduating high school seniors from the Class of 2019 took out student loans, and it’s likely that percentage will only increase for the Class of 2020. If you’re looking for some help managing your student loans, here are a handful of free and low-cost online resources that can help.

Want Help with Student Debt? Try These Resources

June 12, 2020 9:54 AM
by Izzy Hall
June is Gay Pride Month 2020, which marks the 50th anniversary of annual LGBTQ+ celebrations and traditions. In honor of LGBTQ Pride Month, Scholarships.com is featuring LGBTQ+ college scholarships for lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender, and questioning students. There are also scholarships for college for those who identify as an LGBTQ+ ally! View even more financial aid for LGBTQ+ students and allies here.

Pride Month: LGBTQ and Ally Scholarships for 2020