The Perfect College: It Exists...But It's Different for Everyone

June 29, 2015
by Erica Lewis
My name is Erica Lewis and I attend the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, where I am majoring in food science and technology. I chose UNL because it was the right fit for me: It was close to home but far enough away that I didn't feel like my parents were right there! UNL also offered many great scholarship opportunities, which made it more affordable than many of the other schools that I looked at. Finally, I'm a huge sports fan and the Huskers are so much fun to watch!

I chose to major in food science and technology because it combines my love of food with my love for science...that may sound a bit cliché, but it's true! I already knew how to cook but now I get to learn about the components of food and how they are affected by various cooking methods and so much more. Like UNL as a whole, the food science and technology department also offers many scholarship opportunities, which was really nice to know when comparing my options.

In my spare time, you can typically find me at club meetings, Husker games of any kind or watching TV while working on homework with my friends – the great part about college is you can choose to create the schedule you want and do what you want with your free time! I was interested in becoming a Scholarships.com virtual intern because I knew it would give me the chance to tell other students about my college experience and help them make their decision on which college to attend. I know that choosing a college can seem a bit daunting at times so I want to help readers make the choice that's best for them!

Just because there are millions of college scholarships out there doesn’t mean you have time to go searching, and many won’t even match your profile. We’ve done the work and Scholarships.com is totally free. We have the search algorithms and scholarships database, saving you time in searching, finding and applying to thousands of dollars in college scholarships. Get instantly matched to scholarships that meet your unique talents, skillset and strengths, only those you qualify for. Access a complete list of college scholarships now by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.

aadan mohamad adam  on  7/1/2015 9:53:38 AM commented:

I am somali boy i want to get free education, plearge

In honor of LGBTQ Pride Month this June, Scholarships.com is recognizing the success of, and providing financial aid resources to the lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender, and queer community and its allies through featured LGBTQ scholarships. These colorful LGBTQ scholarships are not only intended for those who identify as LBTQ or are questioning, but are available to LGBTQ parents and allies, as well. Below is a preview of LGBTQ scholarships that were created to provide economic mobility and equality for LGBTQ students and allies who may face unique challenges on their educational journeys. For even more LGBTQ scholarships, Parent LGBTQ scholarships or LGBTQ Ally scholarships, visit here.

LGBTQ Scholarships for Pride Month

June 6, 2019 3:22 PM

We're bringing the heat with these fiery summer scholarships for which you can apply this summer break. While scholarships are offered year-round, many students have more free time during the summer to devote to scholarship essays and applications, so we encourage you to prioritize financial aid in-between basking in the sun.

Sizzling Summer 2019 Scholarships

June 5, 2019 11:21 AM
 China's Ministry of Education is warning its students about studying in the United States in its first study abroad alert of the year. Students are advised to prepare accordingly given the potential difficulties in acquiring visas since the visa review period has been extended, the validity period has been shortened and the refusal rate has increased.

China Warns Students Against Studying in the U.S.

June 4, 2019 4:24 PM
China's Ministry of Education is warning its students about studying in the United States in its first "study abroad alert" of the year. Students are advised to "prepare accordingly" given the
Affluent families allegedly abused the system by acquiring faulty learning disability diagnoses in order to gain extra time on the SAT or ACT, according to recent reports on the college admissions scandal. In some incidents, some corrupt proctors took the tests for the students or corrected their answers.

Issues of SAT Equality, from Testing to Scoring

May 28, 2019 11:27 AM
Ciara will soon one, two step in the halls of Harvard University's prestigious Business School according to her latest Instagram post in which she shared the good news of being accepted into the Business of Entertainment, Media and Sports program while donning a Harvard sweatshirt. The $10,000 program, which spans over the course of three days is open to talent and individuals active in the entertainment industry, according to Harvard Business School's website.

Ciara Levels Up, Headed to Harvard Business School

May 21, 2019 3:51 PM
Ciara will soon "one, two step" in the halls of Harvard University's prestigious Business School according to her latest Instagram post in which she shared the good news of being accepted into the
For a 72-year-old grandmother, graduating from college with a bachelor's degree from The University of New Mexico was better late than never. To top that off, Rigina Wright also graduated at the top of her class as Valedictorian with a 4.067 GPA.

Graduating Grandma Garners Top Honor of Valedictorian

May 14, 2019 11:14 AM
For a 72-year-old grandmother, graduating from college with a bachelor's degree from The University of New Mexico was "better late than never." To top that off, Rigina Wright also graduated at the