This Year’s Quirkiest College Admissions Essay Prompts

March 3, 2015
by Suada Kolovic
When you envisioned your college application process, I'm sure you thought you were more than prepared. This was the moment you were told to draw on your strengths and articulate every achievement – countless community service hours, a stellar GPA and the fact that you were senior class president – and every sentence would be so perfectly and meticulously thought out that who you are would just leap right off the page. You prepared your answer on why you belonged at your dream college and pinpointed what you had to offer...until you reviewed the actual application and found a serious curveball: I doubt you expected celebrating your nerdy side could get you in!

In addition to traditional essay prompts, more and more institutions are jumping on the unconventional question bandwagon and are interested in knowing not only why students want to gain admission but just how creative they can be when challenged. Here are some far-from-average questions schools are asking this year:

Tufts University

Celebrate your nerdy side.

University of Chicago

What's so odd about odd numbers?

Lehigh University

You’ve just reached your one millionth hit on your YouTube video. What is the video about?

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

You were just invited to speak at the White House. Write your speech.

University of Notre Dame

A good story starts with a good beginning. Get us hooked in the first 150 words.

University of Richmond

Tell us about spiders.

Soon-to-be college applicants, what do you think of this approach to the admissions essay? Are you a fan of the challenge or frustrated by the fact that you are expected to impress them with your achievements and extracurricular activities and be witty, too? Share your thoughts in the comments section. And if you're interested in learning more about applying for college and the application essay, check out our College Prep section. While you're there, conduct a free college scholarship search on Scholarships.com for a complete list of scholarships that are personalized to you!

College is expensive. Scholarships.com has done the work for you. Pay for your college education with free college scholarship money. Get matched to college scholarships instantly and start applying today by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.

jennifercole07  on  9/7/2015 5:44:39 AM commented:

Nice article! I have a friend that has been looking for a new and unique blog. Thanks http://www.fairessays.com/order

efrain  on  5/18/2015 5:00:03 AM commented:

Getting access to best school or college keeps on getting harder as more candidates are requisitioning a few numbers of spaces. By a good quality admission essay you will be able to enhance your opportunities to being admitted to the school or college of your decision.

Angelica T  on  3/16/2015 3:02:10 PM commented:

Creativity is key! I love this idea!!!

Hannah B.  on  3/12/2015 12:54:33 PM commented:

There could definitely be some ups and downs to these kinds of prompts. I like the idea of being creative, my problem is that I really am not that creative of a person. I try but it is definitely not one of my strengths. The speech for the White house and Youtube ones look extremely difficult, I think. Those are the kind of prompts that would discourage me greatly indeed, because I know very little about Youtube and public speaking scares me like little else. I think it is good to have people write outside of the normal, boring, stereotypical prompts, but I think the colleges should still be careful in what kinds of prompts they choose so that they can still apply to many types of people, not only people who are interested in math, science, history, or any single subject.

Hannah B.  on  3/12/2015 12:51:09 PM commented:

Gabe F.  on  3/11/2015 9:59:11 AM commented:

I've always been frustrated by the idea that numbers get students into college. SAT scores are standardized, which leaves no room for variation in students' learning experiences, and grading standards not only vary from school to school, but from teacher to teacher within a school. Forcing students to write creatively is a great compromise between the need for standardized testing and the variation in learning experiences between different individual students across the country. Aside from the fact that students may hire ghost writers for their application essays, I see little problem using the creative essay prompt as the primary criterion for acceptance. On a side note, when admissions employees read interesting application essays, they take more interest in the applicants, and are more likely to spend more time really studying any given applicant.

Kyle A  on  3/11/2015 8:54:45 AM commented:

This is definitely a good idea. It allows applicants to be creative and show a bit of personality. The "tell us about a time of your childhood" prompts are getting a little old.

Seth W.  on  3/11/2015 7:25:15 AM commented:

This is a bad idea. This type of question will bar some brilliant students from college, simply because they lack a certain type of imagination. I have been in college, have an excellent GPA, and I'm going to change the world, but I would seriously struggle with these prompts.

Mw  on  3/11/2015 2:47:58 AM commented:

Also, I think the college did the right thing. Great reaction and punishment

Katie C.  on  3/7/2015 1:43:08 PM commented:

I am nowhere near needing to be applying for scholarships, but neither of my parents went to college and I just want to be prepared. I love the whole "quirky essay" thing. I would probably be immensely bored with "Explain a time you overcame adversity" and prompts like that. These make me feel a bit more at ease about the whole thing.

Riley S.  on  3/7/2015 1:40:16 PM commented:

Creative prompts allow more personality to be expressed in essays. I think it's a fantastic idea!

Natasha S.  on  3/6/2015 4:23:01 PM commented:

I think this is an awesome idea! That way, people who aren't so keen to writing hard down admission essays (or essays, period) can express what writing talents they do have through these creative questions.

Sheena S.  on  3/5/2015 2:54:48 PM commented:

I think it is a great idea, because it takes a lot of pressure off of writing about something serious. This is a more creative and fun way to express one's personality!

Aaron S.  on  3/5/2015 9:05:32 AM commented:

this seems like a fantastic idea. it forces people to think outside the box, because, i doubt you have 1 million hits on youtube, speak at the white house, and own a spider all in your space time.

Tobias U.  on  3/5/2015 7:43:51 AM commented:

This is a creative and fun way to acomplish a normally stressful task. Not only does it allow for a bit more fun, but it makes it harder for the people taking it to make themselves stand out more so than normal. I think this should be done everywhere.

Megan M.  on  3/5/2015 5:56:31 AM commented:

I honestly love the idea. I think writing these unconventional essays are easier to write than trying to write about yourself on paper. I Found it harder to try and boast about myself on paper because it's something I don't do normally. But the examples listed above for the unconventional essays seem fun and easier to write about than trying to write all about my self and why I think I would be great at their school.

Yasmin AJ  on  3/4/2015 11:13:07 PM commented:

I applied to UNC Chapel Hill and chose "what is one thing every high school student should learn before they graduate" and I wrote about semicolons. Not the literal use but a more personal metaphorical use of them in my time learning to enjoy learning. You can take any prompt, boring and rigid and turn it into something that reflects your personality. Moral of the story, don't let boring prompts force your essay to be boring. Think outside of the box, but in this case think out of the prompt!

Bonnie  on  3/4/2015 9:19:39 PM commented:

I applied to Tufts University and chose that prompt! I had so much fun celebrating the history of the birthday song ;)

Kevin L  on  3/4/2015 5:59:43 PM commented:

In my opinion, the unconventional prompts are ridiculously idiotic. College applications should focue on college; just that. No other entity should contrast to college!

angel s.  on  3/4/2015 4:06:17 PM commented:

i like it. i think students will be more willing to write essays if they are topics like these. these topics make writing essays less of a burden.

Korena Day  on  3/4/2015 11:32:05 AM commented:

i think thats a great idea! i wish they'd have one like that for my college im attending.

Brandon B.  on  3/4/2015 10:57:02 AM commented:

I would actually enjoy doing these types of prompts, especially because it wouldn't be a question people would dread, but something that would make them say, "Huh," and then go off on a tangent. :P

Andrea R  on  3/4/2015 8:46:09 AM commented:

AMAZING! Previous focus on strictly academic GPA type achievement disincentivizes creativity. We need prompts like this to foster the skills and traits that people will need to solve the problems in the world that sent them to school in the first place.

QW  on  3/4/2015 12:24:43 AM commented:

I loved it. I think these are interesting prompts to allow the colleges to understand who I am.

Nicole B.  on  3/3/2015 10:13:59 PM commented:

I think this is a cool idea that colleges/universities are doing unconventional essay ideas. In a way it takes off a lot of stress when you have to sell yourself for a college you want to get into. In a way when you write your college essay technical you are suppose to write your achievements in high school, extracurricular activities, why you deserve to be in the school, and what you have to offer. But now, with these essay ideas you can be creative and imaginative. Plus you can have fun writing them too! :) I just really like this idea. Thumbs up!

Nicole B.  on  3/3/2015 10:13:51 PM commented:

Sarah F.  on  3/3/2015 9:44:53 PM commented:

A Carroll College (in Helena, Montana) scholarship essay prompt asked me to choose one of the following: (X Y = Z) You are X. What is Y, and who is Z? or Elmo, Bert, and Ernie are fighting over the last cookie. How is Bert able to use his liberal arts education to win the cookie?

Rachel S  on  3/3/2015 7:15:51 PM commented:

I really love it! It's such a good idea to really see the side of the student that a plain old essay won't. Other types of prompts are too rigid and students learn in high school to write what the recipient wants them to write- not how they want to write. This creates stagnant work. But with these prompts the students' creative juices can be set to work and the admissions offices can be offered insight into the students' personalities they wouldn't gain other than through such open ended prompts.

Daniella A.  on  3/3/2015 7:09:20 PM commented:

I believe that it will help the colleges and or univerersities that soon to be freshmen applied to will be able to realize what kind of student you are. We are more than grades!!We inspire, create and work hard in order to achieve her goals:)

Aniya B.  on  3/3/2015 6:11:51 PM commented:

I think it's a good idea because some students are better at thinking on the spot of outlandish topics, rather than remembering their achievements. I feel like it is a good opportunity to explore the creativity of the students as well as what they can bring to the table.

Carolin T.  on  3/3/2015 4:57:22 PM commented:

They're not my cup of tea, but they allow for creativity in this usually rigid process so...kudos to these schools! For UChicago, I stuck with one of the "safer" ones (Why are you here instead of there?) but the one about odd numbers did intrigue me.

Briggs Baltzell  on  3/3/2015 3:57:31 PM commented:

One of the essay prompts for the University of Kansas Honors College was "Blue or green? Defend your choice vigorously."

Guy A.  on  3/3/2015 3:40:40 PM commented:

Heyo, I applied to both the University of Chicago, which is notorious for the out-of-the-box style of college applications, and the University of Richmond which has only now incorporated their spider prompt. For UChicago, I chose the prompt "If you were a pH, what would you be and why?" This prompt encouraged me to respond acidly, which I interpreted as sarcastically. I accomplished this through the use of heavy sass mixed with a background in chemistry/biology to get the point across. For Richmond, however, I decided against the "fun" prompt. One major piece of advice is that it's essential to include your personality in these essays, regardless if they are quirky Also, the people who read these get bored really quickly if they read the same essay about what their school has to offer. Finally, it's a great opportunity to show some of the traits you list in your r?sum?. Best of luck to all you college applicants!

Jenna B.  on  3/3/2015 3:16:59 PM commented:

I applied to University of Chicago this year and my prompt was "If you were a pH, what would you be and why?"

College is just around the corner, but you still have plenty of time to win scholarships for high school seniors. Now is the best time to start applying because it is your last chance to qualify for awards available only to high school students. Scholarships are one of the best ways to pay for college because you don’t have to pay them back.

Top Scholarships for High School Seniors Graduating 2023

August 17, 2022
by Ashley Eneriz
College is a big commitment and burnout is easy if you don’t pace yourself. That said, taking a semester off is a normal thing to do while pursuing your degree. Whether you need a quick break for personal reasons or exciting opportunities, like a once-in-a-lifetime trip or work experience, here’s what you need to know about your scholarship money before taking time off.

Will Taking a Semester Off Hurt My Scholarship Money?

August 5, 2022
by Ashley Eneriz
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid — more commonly known as FAFSA is the key to funding your college education. Not only can the FAFSA connect you to grants, scholarships, and work-study opportunities, but filling out the form is
also the first step to applying for federal student loans. Even though filling out the FAFSA is simple and straightforward, several misconceptions still fly around it. Here are the top FAFSA myths you need to stop believing.

FAFSA Myths You Need to Stop Falling For

July 26, 2022
by Ashley Eneriz
The new semester is just around the corner, which means it is time to start thinking about how you are going to afford the new school session. Student loans can be taken out any time of the year and are useful for paying for textbooks, special classes or summer terms and additional living expenses. Choosing the right student loan can help you reach your education and career goals while still keeping your finances balanced. Here’s what to look for before you take out a student loan this summer.

Which Student Loan Is Best for Me?

June 13, 2022
by Ashley Eneriz
As we celebrate Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, we reflect on the enormous contributions of Asian Americans and share their culturally rich history. Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders make up the fastest-growing racial group in the United States, with more than 23 million it total. However, API individuals, communities, and businesses have been disproportionately impacted by discrimination and criminal acts that have only been exacerbated by the pandemic in recent years. Now more than ever, we need to stand united as Americans against anti-Asian racism.

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month 2022 Scholarships

May 25, 2022
by Liz Montenegro
The   Voyager Scholarship was implemented by the Obamas in partnership with Brian Chesky, Co-founder and CEO of Airbnb, who donated $100 million to this program. The mission of this scholarship is to help students pursue careers in public service and solve some of our world’s greatest challenges. The Voyager Scholarship provides students access to education and travel opportunities to help expand their horizons and bring about significant change. During this scholarship’s first year, and it is estimated that 100 college juniors will receive up to $50,000 to cover tution and educational expenses, plus up to $30,000 in international travel stipends and credits. Recipients have the option to renew as seniors.

The Obama-Chesky Voyager Scholarship for Public Service

May 18, 2022
by Liz Montenegro
The Voyager Scholarship was implemented by the Obamas in partnership with Brian Chesky, Co-founder and CEO of Airbnb, who donated $100 million to this program. The mission of this scholarship is to
Summer is a great time to experience new things outside of the hectic school year routine. For students who want to beef up their resume, make some money, and have a little fun along the way, working a summer job is a great option! A part-time job gives you the unique opportunity to gain real-world experience and begin forging your own career path. You’ll also get the chance to become a better communicator by working with a wide range of customers and co-workers from all walks of life. Explore which types of work environments you might enjoy with these top 4 summer jobs (and related scholarships)!

Top 4 Summer Jobs For High School Students

May 13, 2022
by Liz Montenegro
Applications are currently open for the Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) Corporation Foundation’s  Better Together STEM Scholarship! Ranging from $2,500 to $10,000, the program is available to students who are pursuing STEM-related careers at universities in California and Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) in the U.S. Eligible applicants include graduating high school seniors, college students, veterans, nontraditional students, and adults returning to school and plan to enroll in a full-time undergraduate program at an accredited four-year college or university. Don’t delay, applications close on June 3, 2022 at 3:00 PM CT.

PG&E Better Together STEM Scholarship

May 11, 2022
by Liz Montenegro
Applications are currently open for the Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) Corporation Foundation’s Better Together STEM Scholarship! Ranging from $2,500 to $10,000, the program is available to students