How to Compare Distance Learning Colleges - Finding the Best Online Degree Program
There are many distance learning colleges, and choosing the one that is right for you can seem like an overwhelming decision. It is a good idea to compare several different schools before you make a final decision about the best online degree program for you.
Some questions you should ask to get the online degree information needed to make an informed decision include
- Is the school accredited? If so, is the accreditation regional or national?
- Will the program qualify you to sit for any necessary state licensing exams?
- Are there any set times for online class meetings or instructor conferences?
- What is the average program completion time?
- If you are training for a new career, inquire about the availability of job placement assistance and graduate placement rates.
- Ask if your prior college transcripts can be evaluated for credits that can be transferred into your online degree program.
- Ask if non-traditional students are eligible to apply for life experience credit.
- To what extent will you have access to the instructor? (For example: What hours? Via email? Via telephone?)
- Is tutoring available? If so, when and what are the fees?
- What is the class format (live chat, email, video, forum postings, webinar, etc.)
- How much is the tuition on a per credit hour and/or program basis?
- What types of financial aid are available for students?
- Are there any institutional scholarship programs for which you can apply?
Taking the time to ask these questions when you are comparing online degree programs can be very useful to you are you narrow down your choices to ultimately select the training option that best meets your needs.
- Benefits of Online Degree Universities
- Don't Be Fooled By Cheap Imitations - Exploring Degree Mills
- Education Solutions for Non-Traditional Students
- Finding an Accredited Distance Learning Program
- How to Compare Distance Learning Colleges - Finding the Best Online Degree Program
- Make The Right College Choice For The Right Reasons
- Quality Control & College Accreditation
- Questions To Ask Yourself When Choosing A College
- The Pros & Cons of Community Colleges
- The Pros & Cons Of Private Colleges
- The Pros & Cons Of State Universities
Latest College & Financial Aid News
October 6, 2015
by Susan DutcaLast week, a Mount Holyoke College professor allegedly went around his class trying to guess what racial slurs minority students might have been called in their lifetime. Students claimed the exercise was a form of racial discrimination. In this day and age, we are more politically correct than ever before. College students now think twice before raising their hands to offer an opinion on [...]
October 5, 2015
by Erica LewisOh, yes, group projects. When it comes to group projects, you either love 'em or hate 'em. There's really no in-between. So how do you keep your cool when you can't stand your partners or the project itself? Divide the work evenly. Don't let one person do all the work and then have the other names attached to the project. Although the load may be carried more heavily by one [...]
September 29, 2015
by Susan DutcaIn less than a month the world of higher education has moved forward with changes to the traditional approaches in the college application and admission process - first, with the simplified and updated FAFSA to appear in October 2016 and now, with 80 colleges and universities building a platform to streamline the application process that they hope to debut in summer of 2016. The goal is to get [...]