One of the things necessary for success in college is being a well-rounded person. No matter what career field you choose to enter, reading and writing is essential. Therefore, every college student should strive to read a wide variety of literature. Below are several popular and timeless books that every college student should read:
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. A classic coming of age story, many college students will identify with the young protagonist's struggles to figure out what she wants to do in life as well as learn that one should never abandon their principles, no matter the temptation.
- The Waste Land by T.S. Eliot. Considered as one of the most important literary works of the 20th century, it has a multitude of confusing references and footnotes that are designed to obscure rather than illuminate meaning. The Waste Land shows both the tragedy and the hope of modern life.
- The Odyssey by Homer. This classic epic of Odysseus’s fantastical and dangerous journey home to his family after the Trojan War has fascinated audiences for centuries. Odysseus must fight mystical creatures and endure the wrath of the gods while retaking the throne of Ithaca.
- Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare. Although Shakespeare is well known for his tragedies like Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet, his comedic play Much Ado About Nothing is full of examples of clever word play as the two main characters throw verbal darts at each other. Even the title is a triple play on words!
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. This hilarious and random galactic adventure involving several eccentric characters will find its way to your bookshelf and heart. A science fiction classic, it is the first of a series that reveal Adams' imaginative depiction of the future.