Tips for Formatting Scholarship Application Essays
When you are preparing a scholarship application essay, make sure to pay as much attention to the scholarship essay format as you do to the content. Individuals who judge college scholarship essay contests look very closely at the essays they receive and evaluate them based on content, writing style, adherence to instructions and format. The first thing they notice is the format. As you know, you never get a second chance to make a first impression so be sure the format of your essay is both professional and visually appealing.
Scholarship Essay Formatting Tips:
- The most important tip is to be certain that you follow all formatting instructions specified for the scholarship contest.
- Print your essay on high quality paper. Most applicants will use standard copy paper and your essay will stand out if it is on a better type of paper.
- Use a font that is professional in appearance and easy to read. Recommended fonts include: Arial, Calibri, Tahoma, Times New Roman and Verdana. Do not use a script or “cute” style font.
- Do not use a font that is too small or too large. If a font size is not specified in the instructions, use a size between 10 and 12 points for the body of your essay and 14 points for the heading.
- If your printer is running low on ink, replace the toner or ink jet before printing your final copy.
- Make sure there are no smudges or unnecessary creases on the paper.
- Do not fold the essay or application form. Use an envelope large enough to hold all documents without folding them unless the instructions specify a smaller envelope.
- Make sure your essay is free of typos, grammatical errors and spelling mistakes.
- Even if you have proofread your essay several times, get someone else to proofread it before you send it in.
- Apply for Scholarships
- Create Success: Find Money for College
- Etiquette and the Scholarship Search
- Finding Scholarships; How & Where to Look
- High School Students: Investigate Scholarship Options Early
- Scholarship Application
- Scholarship Application Deadlines
- Scholarship Essays: Efficient Scholarship Essay Writing for the Uninitiated
- Scholarship Guidelines; Help Us Help You Find Scholarships
- Scholarship Strategy: Creating a Successful Approach
- Scholarship Strategy: The Scholarship Application Process
- Simplify Scholarship Essay Writing: Get Organized
- The Scholarship Letter of Recommendation
- Tips for Formatting Scholarship Application Essays
- Top 10 Tips for Directing a Scholarship-Worthy Video
- Top 10 Tips for Writing Effective Scholarship Essays
- Winning Scholarships; Attention to Detail Will Pay Off
- Write A Scholarship-Worthy Essay
- Featured Scholarships
- LGBTQ Scholarships
- Scholarship Application Strategies
- Scholarship Directory
- Scholarship Information
- Scholarships by Grade Level
- Scholarships by Major
- Scholarships by State
- Scholarships by Type
- Scholarships Trending Now
- Scholarships.com Scholarships
- Sports Scholarships
- Success Stories
Latest College & Financial Aid News
July 28, 2016
by Susan DutcaThe University of Wisconsin - Green Bay is offering a course to educate students on the environmental justice movement, and it's titled "Green Lives Matter." From topics of flint lead contamination to migrant farm worker pesticide exposure, the program "argues the effects of capitalism force poor and minority community to live in dangerous and unhealthy situations". If you have a passion [...]
July 26, 2016
by Susan DutcaNative American students lag behind their peers from a young age, across almost every measure of student success. From college enrollment, to test scores and on-time graduation, they have the lowest rates of any racial subgroup. They make up a mere 1 percent of the high school and college population and tend to be overlooked when it comes to discussion about the nation's achievement [...]
July 21, 2016
by Susan DutcaColleges and universities across the nation are starting to engage more in discussions regarding what it means to be a man. Masculinity, just like femininity, is celebrated through these gender-specific scholarships. So man-up and check out these scholarship opportunities!: Colored Rocks Contest [...]